No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage Crystal Decanter  (Read 817 times)

Offline Casey951

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • california
Vintage Crystal Decanter
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:44:47 PM »
Hello,

I need ID help with this vintage crystal decanter. It is clear glass with a column-style neck and hexagonal cut stopper. No markings on the bottom. Decanter measures 11"High (with stopper) and 6"Diameter.

Thank you for taking a look!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Vintage Crystal Decanter
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:59:32 AM »
just a couple of things............this appears to be the classical 'shaft and globe' shape  -  made almost forever, although with that ground and polished pontil depression the quality looks quite good.           The only other point of any remote use I can think of saying is that the shape/design of the stopper looks to be 1930's - it has an angular geometric look of the art deco period.    Does the stopper fit well?  -  so many bodies end up with the wrong stopper  -  and are there any matching numbers on either the stopper or body?        Bottom line is that it could be from anywhere, unfortunately. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Casey951

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • california
Re: Vintage Crystal Decanter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »
just a couple of things............this appears to be the classical 'shaft and globe' shape  -  made almost forever, although with that ground and polished pontil depression the quality looks quite good.           The only other point of any remote use I can think of saying is that the shape/design of the stopper looks to be 1930's - it has an angular geometric look of the art deco period.    Does the stopper fit well?  -  so many bodies end up with the wrong stopper  -  and are there any matching numbers on either the stopper or body?        Bottom line is that it could be from anywhere, unfortunately. :)

Hi Paul, thanks for the info! Your dating of the stopper sounds right and fits into the same time line as other pieces of glass that I acquired from the same estate. The stopper does fit very snugly but there are no numbers to be found on its bottom or that of the decanter.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand