No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Round bowl with fishes weeds and bubbles - Tchecoslovaquie  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Tadpole

• Members
Round bowl with fishes weeds and bubbles - Tchecoslovaquie
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »
This sweet little vase is quite detailed, its around 8inches by 8 inches. I have found examples in white and a version with horses on the web but no ID.
Posts on here mention the base mark was used for glass that was imported to France.  Does anyone know who made it please ?   Sadly someone has turned it into a lamp base, still lovely though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Round bowl with fishes weeds and bubbles - Tchecoslovaquie
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:09:31 PM »
It's by Feigl & Morawetz, Libochovice. Datewise probably late 1930s-1950s. Have you tested it under UV? There's a chance it could be uranium glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tadpole

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:11:04 AM »
Excellant, I have recently started collected Libochovice and should have known that, maybe thats what drew me to it, I only bought it this weekend. It was covered in candlewax and grime and has cleaned up beautifully.

I had tested it, it has a low uranium content, only the thicker parts glow which gives a ghostly effect.
Thank you, I only had 2 mystery items in my collection and you solved both in 24 hours.      :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »
If you only get a ghostly glow on the thicker parts, it does not contain uranium (uranium always has a bright green glow); more likely it contains manganese. That probably pushes the date into the 1950s.

You either have a very small or a manufacturer limited collection to only have two unknowns. Many of us have more unknowns than knowns

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand