No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars year/pattern number?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Whitefriars year/pattern number?
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »
I understand this is a late Whitefriars piece does anyone know the year/pattern number for it?

Many thanks
Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
Re: Whitefriars year/pattern number?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »
What makes you think it is whitefriars?

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:08:20 AM »
I've seen it a couple of times described as Whitefriars, shortly before they closed when they were trying to appeal to the gift market, along with the controlled bubble with orange ball in the base paperweight.
Here's one if you go to the Whitefriars page albeit in orange/white
http://www.bobhallpaperweights.co.uk/

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »

Hi Nick.

It might be Whitefriars, I suppose,  but I would treat anything on Bob's site with caution. He has rarely updated it since he was seriously ill a few years back, and quite a few of the weights have been sold. Also, it has errors of omission and commission. He is not the Newsletter Editor of the Paperweight Collectors Circle (I took over from him 6 years ago...in 2006) and he is not on the PCC Committee.  One of his Strathearn weights is clearly Chinese...I don't want to go on, as Bob has done a tremendous amount in the paperweight world over the years - but it is a sad decline.

Alan

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
Hi Alan
Thanks, hmm, I have seen it elsewear described as Whitefriars but for the life of me cannot find it now, I suppose though they may have seen Bob's site too. It's not in the Whitefriars book I have and I cannot find it on Whitefriars.com, I'll keep looking.
 It is very good quality whoever made it.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
I bet its not!!! who wants to take the bet and give me money . Bob used to ask Me and Ray to identify w/fs weights i got fed up telling him i didnt work their but Bob often forgot , in those days i knew most of the weights and Ray knew them all . Ray and i used to buy and sell together for many years and our gals used to buy shoes and frocks together . Annenberg that is . Nick thats one Bob got wrong , it may be Caithness i know not . The nearest one is the Festival of Britain weight in red whie and blue . What Alan says is sadly true .

jp

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
I know very little about weights but a little about Whitefriars sure Jp is correct, it is not something I have ever come across. Made a few with spirals including this one.... https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/Whitefriars9312SpiralPaperweght
9312 the festival of Britain weights and I think a large doorstop spiral one.
Chris

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
Thanks yes The9132 is the closest confirmed Whitefriars weight I can find too.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
Hi Nick,

I always thought these spiral weights to be Murano...

SophieB

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »
Hi Nick,
           definitely NOT Whitefriars as John states. I must also agree with Alan about some of Bob's assertions. Some items are stated to be rare when they are not really, and he shows a 1976 transfer weight for the Olympics as a cheaper alternative to the millefiori one which is well known.

Although Roy Brown has an example of this (I believe he is not sure about it), when I handled it on a recent visit I was not convinced. It is much lighter than similar Whitefriars' weights being around 450g rather than the 600g of the earlier transfer weights. The facets on the sides are also unusual for Whitefriars and remind me more of Wedgewood.

Cheers,

Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand