No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Light weight Iridised & enamelled Vase with classical Scenes - Repro / Replica?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Posting this for a friend who was trying to find out a little bit more information. Please excuse the photo quality they are taken from a camera phone.

Very light weight vase, at a guess would weigh less than 200g with iridescent finish to the glass. Decorated with enamelled classical scenes. Measures approx 4 inches tall.

Apparently it has some age, although on close inspection doesn't show much wear and tear to the foot or enamelling. My initial thoughts were that it was possibly a replica or reproduction, although not completely sure, so would welcome any other views/suggestions, again apologise for the picture quality.
Many thanks,
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Hi no reason why it should have wear not a thing that would be used often , probably kept in cabinet , you also said its light .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks for taking a look JP. From memory I think it may well have been in a cabinet at some point, although always a little cautious of third hand provenance.

The glass is very thin as well as light, it initially, reminded my of some more recent, middle eastern repro type vases that surface now and again, perhaps this can be ruled out..?

Any thoughts on dates and area of production most welcome.

Thanks
 :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
can you get some clearer and close up pics - they are all blurry when you enlarge them and I'd love to see it more clearly.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
The shape suggest it may have had a lid and the decoration technique suggests it is not old. I'd guess 1970s Italy - but I must admit I have never seen this decoration before. How is the underside finished?

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks for both taking a look. I'll try to get hold of a few better quality pictures with a digital camera, although will be a few days before I see the vases owner again. Thanks for looking in the mean time, I appreciate the photo quality is a little poor, camera phones are never great for these things!

In terms of the base, I did take a picture, although again the picture is unfortunately blurry, I have attached it just in case it may be of use. The underside is also iridised like the main body and has a couple of very small rough points, where the pontil has been snapped.

The enamelled scenes from memory although not bad quality were perhaps a little loosely executed, in terms of the finer detail. The enamelling was also fairly thickly applied and clearly stands proud of the main body.

I will update with a few further pics, as soon as possible.

Many thanks

Offline Greg.

• Members
Here are a handful of the better quality pictures, which I hope are more useful.....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
That horse needs to go on a diet and no random whispy draperies! Interesting that it's enamelled post-iridising. I would go with old

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks Christine, I did think the horse was rather low to the ground :)

In terms of speculating on age, would think around 1900 or earlier in date..?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ROFL   ;D sorry Greg but that horse actually looks like it is collapsing under the weight of it's rider  ;D
I'll have a proper look in a mo, but I LIKE IT a lot.  Very pretty.  Lovely enamelling.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand