Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Light weight Iridised & enamelled Vase with classical Scenes - Repro / Replica?  (Read 653 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
ROTF the bushwhacker beats the horse by a mile! The whole thing is obviously hand enameled - the scrolls may have been transferred before filling in, they're too perfect. The five point pontil is - if I remember well - not an instrument from the distant past. No conclusion. It is one of the funniest pieces I have ever seen.
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄
 New Book: The Almost Forgotten Story of the Blue Glass Sputum Flask

all texts and pictures (c) Ivo Haanstra.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks everyone for taking a look. Good point about the scrolls Ivo, I did wonder why they looked much neater than the depicted scenes.
It certainly is a little bit of an odd ball piece. I did manage earlier while visiting the owner to also take a couple of pics of the two other scenes, thought I would throw these into the mix, one depicts a slightly thinner horse this time round and I'll let the other speak for itself :) The last photo is just a view from above inside. I'm sure these will amuse. :)

Thanks
Greg

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I think the enamelling looks old for what it's worth but then I don't know about that pontil mark given Ivo's comments. I do remember I think, someone saying that the Italians didn't do such risque scenes though? but maybe that was regarding women not men.    The iridescence on it is nice as well.  It reminds me of those Venetian opalescent tazza's and bowls.   I wonder what the person enamelling it was thinking of  :)  it's not usual to have such unclothed scenes.  The horseman on the shot you've just shown above doesn't look Italian to me though.  Looks more Greek maybe? but then I'm rubbish at things like that.
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
Many thanks for your thoughts M, much appreciated. Perhaps it is indeed older than I originally envisaged, although pinning down a rough date of production / country of origin look like they may be tricky, certainly an unusual thing.  :)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
i have had several  quite old Italian pieces with five point pontil . Thats my guess .

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks for taking another look JP.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search