No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Light weight Iridised & enamelled Vase with classical Scenes - Repro / Replica?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
ROTF the bushwhacker beats the horse by a mile! The whole thing is obviously hand enameled - the scrolls may have been transferred before filling in, they're too perfect. The five point pontil is - if I remember well - not an instrument from the distant past. No conclusion. It is one of the funniest pieces I have ever seen.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks everyone for taking a look. Good point about the scrolls Ivo, I did wonder why they looked much neater than the depicted scenes.
It certainly is a little bit of an odd ball piece. I did manage earlier while visiting the owner to also take a couple of pics of the two other scenes, thought I would throw these into the mix, one depicts a slightly thinner horse this time round and I'll let the other speak for itself :) The last photo is just a view from above inside. I'm sure these will amuse. :)

Thanks
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I think the enamelling looks old for what it's worth but then I don't know about that pontil mark given Ivo's comments. I do remember I think, someone saying that the Italians didn't do such risque scenes though? but maybe that was regarding women not men.    The iridescence on it is nice as well.  It reminds me of those Venetian opalescent tazza's and bowls.   I wonder what the person enamelling it was thinking of  :)  it's not usual to have such unclothed scenes.  The horseman on the shot you've just shown above doesn't look Italian to me though.  Looks more Greek maybe? but then I'm rubbish at things like that.
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
Many thanks for your thoughts M, much appreciated. Perhaps it is indeed older than I originally envisaged, although pinning down a rough date of production / country of origin look like they may be tricky, certainly an unusual thing.  :)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
i have had several  quite old Italian pieces with five point pontil . Thats my guess .

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks for taking another look JP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand