No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large iridescent gold bowl info please?  (Read 2479 times)

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
Re: Large iridescent gold bowl info please?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »
Very interesting item. Can you see joint marks near the marie? If so, how many? If no joint marks are present, this was likely pressed in a shell mould that gets flipped 180 degrees (after the glass sets up) so that the "catching out boy" can get it placed on a wide paddle. Then, it's stuck up on a large diameter punty rod with a flat head (the diameter of the head would be the same size as the area that is now seen as ground and polished). Once it's stuck up, it's reheated, iridized with a spray of metallic salts, and then taken to a skilled finisher to be cupped (hence, the stretch glass look that happens when an item is iridized BEFORE it's finished to its final shape). Then, it's cracked off the punty rod and taken to the lehr. Once annealed, that bottom area can be ground and polished. Fenton made a lot of plates this way in the 1920s-30s. I hesitate to speculate as to a maker, but it could be someone like Pairpoint or Durand in the USA, although I suspect its origin will turn out to be European. 
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »
 :)
Thank you for this wonderful, clear and very interesting explanation of the process, Mr. Measell!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
Thank you from me also -  your explanations make it much easier to imagine how the piece was made.
m

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »
Thankyou JSMeasell for taking the time to give your very detailed and clear description, very much appreciated :D I've looked closely at this large bowl and to me, it appears to be made from one single block of glass as I can't see any indications of joint marks near the marie, so your option of pressing in a shell mould would fit :)) and thanks to everyone else for your help and advice too, It's taught me a lot :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 06:38:53 AM »
The bowl would be made from one piece (gob) of glass. The seams would be in the two-part mould and would cause lines on the glass. You only join handles, feet and decorative bits; you don't makes items in two halves and join them (at least not in pressed glass).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand