No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Saint Louis ERII Coronation  (Read 1617 times)

Offline petern00

• Members
Saint Louis ERII Coronation
« on: September 21, 2012, 03:01:21 AM »
This weight, commissioned by Paul Jokelson as part of his efforts to rekindle popular interest in glass paperweights, marked the return of Saint Louis to paperweight production in the 20th century.  Gerard Ingold’s writings give some detail of this series, recording that there were a little over 1200 produced; comprising a regular edition (making use of different grounds as well as clear crystal, with and without millefiori circles) as well as a limited edition, with overlay.   

The three example of this series that I'm able to examine closely - all  regular issue - use different canes in the encircling row and one contains a date cane (SL1953).  This is the first time I've noticed a date cane and I can't find any examples of it in the books I've checked.  Does anyone have further knowledge about the variations found in this particular series?
Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
Re: Saint Louis ERII Coronation
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
ah!   This is the one that sold on E*ay two weeks ago. But for cash flow it would have been mine!. It went for a very good price, and as the images you have posted are different to the Ebay ones, I guess it was you who was the lucky purchaser!. 
I am at work - when I get home tonight, I will pm you.  I have a number of these. I did an article on them for the Northern Paperweight Society "Gather" publication, and received some useful additional information subsequently

Here is link to original thread when I was trying to find out more
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38926.msg215092.html#msg215092
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
Martin.  Thanks for the link to your earlier thread.  You picked up a batch of ten, you lucky devil!!
Yes, this is that recent eBay item ... and now we each know the eBay ID of a competitor on future StL ;)  Thanks for offering to share the extra information you've gleaned from your research; I knew GMB would have to have at least one aficionado on this topic.  Regards.  Peter
Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline petern00

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 01:59:03 AM »
An update for the sake of Members who might be interested in this topic. 

Martin kindly sent the text of his 'Gather' article (ref above) and images of some of his coronation weights.  He also referred me to another collector, Richard (whom PCC & NPS members will know), who pointed me towards Larry Selman's & Linda Pope-Selman's 1975 publication 'Paperweights for Collectors'.  This monograph is a gem for the anyone looking for details on some of those '50-'70s issues from various factories.  For the Saint Louis coronation series it reports the numbers of ground-colours, with and without millefiore rings, for the 1200-odd weights produced.  It also gives a clue to one of the questions arising from the parent post in this thread ... 'Some of these weights have an "SL1953" cane amongst those making up the millefiore garland ...'.

Thanks again to Martin and Richard.

Peter

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand