No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I think this pestle ? might be Nailsea window glass ! Oh no... not again !!  (Read 6886 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: I think this pestle ? might be Nailsea window glass ! Oh no... not again !!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 10:51:03 AM »
oh dear.  I've no idea what you mean about 'originally scanned and ocr'd' - is that a bad thing, is it plagiarism?
m

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »
Possibly not. OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition and is the process where a program can interpret printed text and convert it to standard ASCII (computer) characters. Naturally, old texts can be a little difficult to convert sometimes and in this case it would appear that the 'il' in Nailsea got interpreted as a 'u' - situations like this in OCR text are quite a common occurrence.

There are also a lot of Print-on-Demand books that are OCR-ed from out of copyright books. Quite often the result is dreadful - often intelligible - so it is worth steering clear of these!

EDITED to add: And there is always the possibility of some really embarrassing mis-steaks!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 10:21:23 PM »
The knitting needles look remarkably like those on page 69 (plate 71) of Keith Vincent's book 'Nailsea Glass' (all photos in black & white sadly) .....I think examples are on display at Clevedon Court...(I have yet to visit) . The needles are 12 inches in length , how long are yours, m  ? This frigger could be a knitting needle in the making with an elongated knoblet on the head of the needle which would make a nice batton/pipe-tamper  :P/cannon-ball-rammer :-X/pestle <---- ???, for an apprentice march  :-*

I think , according to the ladies I met in Nailsea, that the light green colour with a tinge of blue is the colour of Nailsea window glass .  Please see this topic ...

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49315.0.html

It's quite distinctive and easily recognisable , apparently.

Ta very much, Mike.

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
my knitting needles are 10 1/4" long exactly  :)
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Another suggestion for curious objects. In days of old it was customary to hang a glass ball in a corner of the room to keep it clear of flies. If you go to South America you will find jn many places they use plastic bags fillled with water - and I have yet to find anyone who could explain why this works, or how. But apparently it does.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Mike — My first thought, with that complicated shape at the other end, was a bell clapper.   Probably, as Frank suggested, part of an apprentice march frigger.   Don't assume that this giant bell wasn't functional, as, after reading in Strange & Rare about a 9" glass cannon (another apprentice march frigger) that had signs of actually being fired, anything is possible.

Full length glass clappers are known — Walsh bell clappers are like this.   See Reynolds fig.43.

There must have been prizes awarded for the best of these apprentice march friggers, so somewhere there must be records of these prizes.   I wonder if there's an article on this in one of the glass journals.   Does anyone know?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks very much Bernard , I will have to look up fig 43 !! from the library.

I went to the Bristol museum today to look at their Nailsea glass collection and I'm pretty certain the colour matches Nailsea window glass....I've posted some photos on my other thread. (see link above).

A bell clapper seems highly plausible ! ...I wonder what happened to the bell.... ?  :)
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Keith has all the bells  ;D but I don't think one that big.
m

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Mike — Apologies, I picked up on Frank's "apprentice march friggers" earlier without proper consideration.   Apprentices were likely to have been involved in glassmakers' processions, but Hajdamach I chapter 16 makes it clear that experienced master craftsmen were showing off their skills.   I shouldn't have mentioned apprentices.

...   I wonder what happened to the bell.... ?

Obvious really.   Of course it was clappered out!   ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Apologies for the throwing in the term apprentice! Hadjamach on page 380 refers to the many reports of such processions.

Google provides some nice tidbits....

LINK
LINK 2

So the possibility of a study having been done is likely!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand