No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Heat struck vase looks kind of Czech - ID = Severin Brørby for Hadeland  (Read 3484 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
I am looking for clues as to who made this vase. The rim is heat struck to give the colour change, I suspect cadmium is the culprit as the vase glows orange under UV light. The round circles on the lower part of the vase are little craters in the glass, it looks as if a small intense flame may have been used to form them.

The vase feels heavy though the walls are not that thick (2-3mm), base is moulded, rim is fire polished and height 21cm.

It reminds me a little of work by Jan Gabrhel and Pavel Hlava because of the heat striking but I suspect it may be contemporary production.

Help!

Thanks. ;D

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Heat struck vase looks kind of Czech
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »
Bumping time...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
Well thank goodness for bumps - I didn't see this before!
While this is a completely different kettle of fish to the beast I am about to refer to, bear with me.
In 2002, I bought a vase in Amsterdam by a contemporary artist, Tchai Munch. It has really peculiar and complicated bubble effects in its walls too - not dissimilar to this piece of yours. The proportions of the vase are similar too.
I haven't hear anything more about her (Tchai Munch) since - which has surprised me. I was completely overwhelmed by the lady's talents in so many different techniques in glassmaking. She might be worth having a wee search on - I shall commence now. I have so many boring things I am desperate to put off doing...  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
Thanks Sue, some of her work here, including some nice bubbly stuff: http://tchai13.wix.com/ebeltoftglas?_escaped_fragment_=tchai/ce7j
The Vaser med prikker (vase with dots) is interesting...

No bubbles in this vase though!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
I found that site - but couldn't find anything on it!
The vase I have matches this Kugle piece.
http://tchai13.wix.com/ebeltoftglas#!Kugle-Vase/zoom/ce7j/image1lkw

You can't see the peculiar multilayered bubbles in their image. I'm going to have to fight with the camera again, amn't I, to try to get it to capture the funny bubbles in my bit.  ::)

There are funny bubbbles in these bits...
http://tchai13.wix.com/ebeltoftglas#!Vaser-med-prikker/zoom/ce7j/image1dps

Are you saying the bits in your vase are not bubbles - that it is a surface texture thing?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »
Ok, yet another wild bit of speculation... are these not fairly typical Blenko colours?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 05:47:36 PM »
If it's glowing orange then it's probably Selenium. I would think more yellow if it were Cadmium. However, another point is that I believe Cadmium was banned some time ago from use due to its toxicity. 1970s? Earlier?

Nice vase!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
Somehow I missed this one, too.
My first thought when I saw it was Czech, and Chlum u Trebone glassworks; the technique is very similar to some vases by Pavel Hlava
>> Link 1
>> Link 2

But I don't know how extensively other glassworks and designers may have used this technique...

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 10:59:39 PM »
Hi all. Admittedly the colour of the vase in this thread and its technique, initially looks Czech but I have not seen this particular vase before. At the same time, in this colourway, Jan Gabrhel and Pavel Hlava did experimental pieces that are not well documented. Sorry not to be more helpful........

These different vases have been described a couple of times, off forum, as Lauscha Thuringen

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s483/andriusatas/2012%2012%2018/DSCN7571.jpg

Not very similar I admit, but I have seen other shapes and some similar colours, maybe this is another avenue worth pursuing...... 

Sorry not to be more helpful!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 07:38:38 AM »
Thanks everyone, your efforts are much appreciated. Having another look at the vase there is next to no wear (for what that is worth) and it really does feel comparatively heavy.

Sue, no bubbles and I will quote myself ;D
The round circles on the lower part of the vase are little craters in the glass
Think of portholes - a thick rim and a round thin window. I don't think they were formed with pressure - there is no corresponding indentation on the inside, hence the flame idea which could of course be wildly inaccurate...

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand