No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very Unusual Hand Made Green Glass Bowl  (Read 1512 times)

Offline piwimbledon

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • uk
Very Unusual Hand Made Green Glass Bowl
« on: September 26, 2012, 10:55:25 AM »
Hi forgive me for any newbyism and lack of knowledge but have in the last 2 months been really getting into glass - simply because it can often be bought at car boot sales for a few quid yet can have a good value - I've picked up some great pieces of whitefriars and art glass, but can usually identify them via the web - this one however I can't - despite being a novice I can see this is pretty unusual - it looks at a guess about 1920's and is handmade and has a pontil mark on the base. I've tried to give it a wipe down but it seems to want to keep showing streaky marks - hopefully this is a pointer to an expert of the type of glass - its looks like the kind of glass old bottles were made of.

for bigger pics see http://www.flickr.com/photos/50216832@N05/

would be great if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be - is probably some one off hand made glass by an unknown artist. Its 17cm  wide.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Very Unusual Hand Made Green Glass Bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »
I certainly do not recognise it, and while I do not claim to know as much as even 10% of British Studio Glass artist's work, that is my sort of area.... 

That is a slightly heat-finished pontil mark (it's been softened to flatten it a bit and eliminate sharp bits).

I can see no evidence of age-related wear around the base where it would sit on a surface, I would suspect a fairly recent piece. Given the treated non-shiney surface of it, my guts are muttering (just muttering, they're not very sure) Lafiore, contemporary Spanish glass.
Lafiore is well made and attractive glass, but it keeps turning up listed as Muranese "Scavo" with incredibly inflated prices on it.

Do not fret about newbieism - we were all newbies once, do not fret about kack of knowledge - we all fret about our lack of knowledge.
The gmb is here so we can all get together and learn from each other.

New questions are how new information gets put together - we all learn from it. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
I would agree to Lafiore - unless it is by its direct competitor Gordiola, both located in Mallorca.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 01:04:42 PM »
I'd forgotten Giordola  :-[  Ivo, thanks.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand