No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandi (?) Engraved Vase....  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Scandi (?) Engraved Vase....
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:06:26 PM »
First off, I'll apologise for the grubbiness of the vase and the poor lighting in the photos - I've spent all day wandering around Swinderby antiques fayre and all evening fixing a clock I bought there, so I'm too exhausted to do much about either problem for now! Zzzz.  :D

I bought the vase mostly just because I was curious about who made it, and partly because it's pretty (or rather has the potential to be, once all the grime has been washed off!) and cost £4.  :lol:

The signature on the bottom has mostly been worn away, and I can only make out the numbers for certain: 3210-14. And the initials before this might be F.W. / T.W. - but I may very well be wrong! I'm reasonably sure the last letter is W. though.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/pinkspoons/etchedvase1.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/pinkspoons/etchedvase2.jpg

I also bought a tall mystery signed engraved neodymium vase from the same stall, for much the same reasons - I'll post a picture tomorrow when I'm more awake!  :lol:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:15:24 PM »
Folke Walwing?  I don't know...seems unlikely somehow.  It's Orrefors isn't it though?
I am not a man

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:44:49 PM »
I thought that Orrefors was a possibility, but it's not really my field so I didn't want to say one way or t'other. The stallholder did have quite a few Orrefors pieces, though. No idea whatever on the artist, though!  :oops:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 06:10:57 AM »
Could be TW/  Wirkkala ?. I have quite a number of oval section vases which seem to have been made by everyone. I have them by Gullaskruf, Johansfors, Sea Glasbruk, Leerdam, VSL and Iittala - and a few unidentified ones which may or may not be engraved on Kosta blanks.  The numbers on these go all over the place - I've given up trying to ID them.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 07:38:35 AM »
Kosta was my other thought for this.

These types of oval engraved vases do seem to be fast becoming the staple stock of the glass sellers at antiques fayres - although usually they want £50+ for them, even if they have no idea who designed them.... or perhaps especially if they don't know!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 08:04:02 AM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
usually they want £50+ for them, even if they have no idea who designed them....

There you have it - the reason I stocked up

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 08:50:50 AM »
I didn't say they sold them at £50+.  :lol: They just tried to. But they will still have them this time next year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand