No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart Vase?  (Read 3541 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Monart Vase?
« on: September 27, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »
Bought today for £2 in a charity shop - looks like a Monart shape SA - 5" high in mottled green with black and aventurine to rim - base is smooth polished see photo. Just posting to get  a positive ID.

Thanks Adam

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Monart Vase?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
Certainly Monart with the colour code being 162 and shape SA, an excellent price.
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
 :o :o :o
wow!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »
£2 !!!!,can't get a tatty old piece of Chances for that in my local Charity shops!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
I had to fork out £3 for a pink frilly Monart plate - I was cheated!  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »
Thanks. Glasgow seems to be good for Scottish glass. I have a good collection of Caithness built from charity shops, this is my first piece of Monart. I suppose being in Scotland helps but there is a lot of tat to be endured as well, saying that I got a large 60s Bitossi (Italian Ceramics) vase in a charity shop recently and I often get Strathearn. The boot sales are ok, I haven't yet been to Blochairn? My local dealer has four or five lovely Monart vases but wants £200 plus each for them. I love Skrdlovice and have a growing collection. Never seen that yet in the charity shops. I buy that direct from Czechoslovakia. Horses for courses I suppose.

Adam

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
Recently sold this on eBay for £62.00 which is a good profit. However it shows a downward trend. My local dealers want £200+ for similar, and they wonder why they are not selling.

Thanks Adam

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »
What planet are your "local" dealers on?  ;D
The price you got for your piece was very good - it is only a 5" small bit after all.

If it were this colourway and pattern in an 8" piece, I could see it at around £150... maximum - and hopeful!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »
I agree, I was very happy to get that. My dealers are stuck back in the Monart boom period where it was crazy money. I remember selling small bowls for £100+ I did buy a lot of Vasart back then for my own collection and I see that's fallen. They are beautiful though and the pleasure is in looking at them so it doesn't matter. One dealer in particular has high prices and I know he paid plenty back when, so he is unhappy when I point out they may never sell. I would buy them, but I can pick them up for £10+ on eBay.

Adam

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:48:28 PM »
Forgot to read the small print, did he?  ;)

"Warning: the value of your investment may rise or fall depending on the prevailing market. You may not recover your initial capital."

or does that not exist any more? it doesn't seem to apply to uber-rich shareholders in BIG business.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand