No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old combed lattice herringbone lamp - green white feathering amber foot  (Read 18257 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Old combed lattice herringbone lamp - green white feathering amber foot
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
I don't think that's combed; it's fabric - Hartil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
Which one are you referring to as fabric harrtil please Christine?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »
The one shugdens showed apparently had a label on saying "Made in Czechoslovakia", but there was one in Abernyte I photographed, and I did handle it and study it - it is enamels...

or have I missed something important in that "that" maker has finally been identified?
(I presume you don't mean a cotton or linen type of fabric, but some sort of inclusions?)

I found my images - not too good, phone camera, artificial lighting

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »
The shape of the fitting looks the same as yours, Flying-free...
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »
yes I thought so too :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 02:32:11 PM »
I don't think the combed 'pattern' on the Czech lamps is exactly the same as mine, but I think they are made with the same enamels if you see what I mean  They look slightly less tidy, maybe same manufacturer different maker?  The fitting on the the Czech lamps is the same or very very similar to mine as is the one featured on Franks 'not Ysart' site which is on a very similar lamp to the Czech lamps, just a different shape.  Of course that could just indicate an 'era' rather than a maker but still..

I did see a vase on ebay US that had the same enamels and pattern but went from brown at the top to a slightly opalescent or milky bluey colour at the base.  But it was way out of my £ power for research and also it had an oddly written Barovier and Toso signed signature on the base... I am pretty certain the sig was an addition and unfortunately I didn't keep a link to the vase.
But again I thought maybe the same maker maybe Czech.
But I still don't think they are the same as yours and Pete's or Ivo's...or at least I can't see the similaritie, but I can with the Czech mica lamps if you see what I mean?
Thanks for all your help :) I'lll keep looking but I'd really run out of ideas on this one.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
The Czech lamp-base is not completely smooth to the touch - it's bobbly and lumpy.. your base looks smooth, I don't imagine it's like;ly to be the same maker.
The luminosity and the colours of your base reminds me a bit of the fabby comtemporary french maker's lamps and shades my brother has, but doesn't look like his work.

The applied base part of yours makes me think older rather than newer.
I think we're just casting around wildly.
(but when you have absolutely nothing else to start from, it gives the brain cells something to do ;))
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »
Hi M seen similar somewhere in the past , my gut feeling is its something special ,,,, just had a liquid lunch , it may come back to me tho,,,, not the lunch i may say  ??? i am sure it will get IDd fairly soon , you can give it to me for Christmas  !!!! i love it same sort of quality as Monart . cheers jp

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
I'm not convinced the Czech frilly ones don't use an asbestos net (It has to be asbestos because of the heat. Look up Hartil Harachov as an example but remember there are variations in asbestos mesh). I can't see the Abernyte one clearly enough to be sure

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 03:22:47 PM »
thank you all  :)
Christine that's interesting I couldnt' see it clearly enough to tell from the pics.  The foot of the Czech mica ones looks different as well.
Sue, I see what you mean, no the lamp is not bumpy to touch at all.  Very smooth, it all looks quite carefully and skilfully made I think. The finish on the base of the foot is odd.  It's not polished flat athough it is completely flat, and doesn't have a polished pontil mark. Could it be marvered smooth and then a fire polished smoothed over pontil mark finish or...is it a  moulded foot and the dimply bit in the middle reflects the mould? does that sound right - I'm hopeless on imagining how feet might have been applied to something.
JP I don't know anything about Monart really, but having now looked at some pictures of vases  the applied foot is a similar shape to some of the Monart vases I think, maybe that's the similarity?  I wonder who else might have used this carefully done foot?
thanks again all
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand