No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old combed lattice herringbone lamp - green white feathering amber foot  (Read 18210 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Old combed lattice herringbone lamp - green white feathering amber foot
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
 ???
This one's herringbone bit appears to be a reddy/brown colour.... enamel?
camerahttp://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=624&pos=0

I know you get "blue" asbestos and "grey" asbestos, but I'm not sure that's not just a name different types are given - one is far more dangerous than the other.

Is there any fabric which would be heat resistant and reddy-brown? (sorry for the lousy pics from abernyte, phone camera)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 03:54:37 PM »
Don't think so. I think asbestos fabric is only white. I think you need to handle these to be sure whether they use fabric. Whatever Miranda's is combed

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »
 :) It is.
More of a red herring than herringbone.  ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »
I took some close pictures - the foot is applied but perhaps the amber was reflection? I can't see how it might be partly cased up the base but perhaps so?
The hole for the wire shows the three layers and the thickness of the glass I hope.
The base pic is very clear and makes it look odd in finish, but it is very smooth, just showing the striations and dimpling in the middle more clearly.
And taking a close pic of the enamel combing shows that I think the enamels were done with two colours, pinky mixed with white. I think.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »
Could the foot be an integral part of the main body, but with dense enamel colour on the outside.... all beautifully marvered in to be smooth, of course.
I'd agree, it looks as if both pink and white striations are in the mesh.   
My guts are feeling this may be French. (But my guts are frequently all over the place! :-X)

However, your glassy-guts have been very Francophillic recently, Flying-free... :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »
Sue I don't know is the answer  :-\ I'm really not good on how feet are done... I don't understand them.
Because JP mentioned Monart, I had a look for one to compare the foot, and the way the applied foot is reminds me of this one as an example
http://www.lskauctioncentre.co.uk/sale-categories/twentieth-century-design/d090911/86.aspx

And I've no idea how that is done or what it looks like on the base but others might  :-\

The one on the left of this picture is a better comparison.  I think the lamp foot is done the same way as this. But I have now found Frank's base pictures and none look like the base of my lamp so perhaps it's not done in the same way?If you click on the picture here and wait it blows up to quite a 'seeable' size.
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/11788/lot/425/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »
Sorry for adding more links but I found this vase which does have similarities with my lamp base

http://humlernolan.com/Auctions/June-2012/Art-Glass/0701

and which has a description of a mark on the base that sounds as though it looks like the mark on the base of this Chic Young Perthshire Paperweights vase
here  -  http://www.ysartglass.com/Otherglass/Perthshire3.htm

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
My guts do not think that is Monart - though perhaps it's the photography. The foot seems to stand proud (as in wider than) from the bottom of the body and I'm fairly sure that's not in keeping with Monart. The colours don't look right - they're too bright and modern-looking.
It looks more like the work of one of the contemporary Scottish makers, possibly Jane Charles (or somebody else whose name is on the tip of my tongue - certainly, I've seen work in the Strathearn Gallery in Crieff recently which I would say is by the same person.)
I'm going to try to photograph the foot of my Allister Malcom claret jug for illustration - because the foot is clear glass applied to coloured.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 09:02:45 AM »
Sue I'm confused, probably because I did what I shouldn't do and posted two posts at the same time.  Which one do you not think is Monart? Do you mean you're sure my lampbase isn't Monart ?  BobCrooks and Anthony stern have done some lattice ware but I feel  sure this is neither. 

I am wondering about Vasart?   I came across a red lattice bowl at a Lyon and Turnbull sale that was identified as Vasart and quite neatly done lattice work that I think has similarities.
http://www.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=299+++++++16+&refno=++134216
and I'm still wondering if it is Nazeing.  Anita has a white combed piece that was identified as Nazeing and is a very neatly done and finished piece. 

I think I've worked out a bit more about the lamp. 
a) I think the combing was done in a dip mould with odd and even spikes so the combing looks the way it does and makes a sort of diamond shape pattern as it is pulled out of the mould, then the piece was twisted once it had been pulled out of the mould and blown a bit further.

b) I think the green is the inner layer, then the combing in pink and white enamel then the whole outer layer is very thinly cased amber with the amber only making up the foot?  does that make sense?  that would explain why the combing looks off white and why the green is such a gorgeous green (amber laid over bottle green maybe? )

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
I was not saying it is Monart just of a similar look and quality , the foot is nothing like any of my Monart pieces , the rest does have a similarity to some  . i would like to own it and see it lit up . jp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand