No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink and Green Bullicante Bird  (Read 6009 times)

Offline charliepedro

• Members
Re: Pink and Green Bullicante Bird
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »
Hi Robbo/guys,

I handled a similar birdie recently which I felt was probably of Vetreria Archimede Seguso based on its style and quality of finish. Looks kinda similar in shape to yours, particularly the eyes and beak..... he was only about 4-5'' long and weighing less than 250gr....

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »
The wings are at a different angle, Charliepedro, but the general "model" for the construction of the bird looks very similar... and also very similar to a bird Christine has, although the tail doesn't have such pronounced "fingers".
Aniita, you've got images - the nearest you, Christine and myself came to an id was tentitively Odall.
This is the link to Christine's images of it.
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=1&page=6
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »
I thought this one of yours was more akin to Robbos bird:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/605831-582/Barovier-Toso-Murano-Bird-Blue

Yes, the tail is different, but the general colouring and bullicante is so similar as to be in my thoughts, almost a definate makers match.
Presumably each artist could be expected to make a variety of shaped birds with the same or similar colouring and techniques, if only to relieve the boredom of repitition??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »
The general modelling of that one is not remotely the same quality, Rosieposie. The head is quite awful - while the other ones have a softness that looks absolutley real - as if there are real bones and sinews and muscles holding the position under the skin and feathers (as opposed to the internal design of these bullicante ones - which looks as if the bones and muscles and blood vessels are graphically illustrated with the skin and feathers removed... )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Many of the Barovier & Toso earlier (c. 1950) birds had the swollen brow look. I used to think it looked awful, but now I see the same brow as an indicator that it might be B&T.  Robbo's bird is not Oball. It is too carefully made and looks too good. Oball birds are okay, but not as nice as the old quality Murano birds. I've not see Oball do bullicante like robbo's bird. So I think we can cross them off the list of possibilities. Robbo's bird looks vintage to me and is a good bird.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.

The Seguso bird is nice but there are some subtle differences—there's an extra tail feather and the "wings" look to be joined together over the back. I did have a signed Oball bird before but the modelling just wasn't as good as this one. Interesting to see that one Rosie, there's something similar in the "Zoo"—the bullicante with the streaks of pink and green are exactly like my little critter  ;D

r
robbo

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
I would be prepared to put money on it being the same maker robbo.... it ts lovely.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand