No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Coloured Glass and Silver sculptured vase - please help me identify it thanks  (Read 2351 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Is there any age-related wear to the base? How it the pontil mark finished off?
Do you have the very close-up close-up setting on your camera? (The flower symbol with the "s" beside it)
I love the colours in the glass and the bubbles - but I cannot see the design/pattern in them clearly, to see how it was produced.

Looking at the silver work, which I can see far more clearly now, I am having a wonder if it might be contemporary, from Thailand. I've seen a lot of fabulous costume jewellery over the last few years, with beautiful "art nouveau" style silverwork around faux jewells and glass.
I've got a necklet, will post a pic.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline abc

• Members
Hi thanks for helping here are some more pics
The vase is very very light and the glass is really thin if that helps

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
Re: Coloured Glass and Silver sculptured vase - please help me identify it thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
Hi,
 I am adding to this thread as I have also acquired (an extra piece from an auction lot) a very similar piece - 7" high.
I cannot find any marks on the metal so not sure if silver or not, the whole thing is very light, mine has a foot so I cannot see the base of the glass - the glass itself looks very interesting! Lots of bubbles - blue/green/greys - a bit iridescent like the surface of petrol! (use of silver chloride??)
I have seen all sorts of vague attributions for these but nothing concrete - so anyone know anything else about these?
I suspect anywhere from 1960's onward, but i wouldn't think any earlier than that and quite possible a lot later.
The first two pictures are with and without flash, the last picture is taken holding it up to the light.
Roberta

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand