No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: monart light shade?  (Read 7061 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: monart light shade?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
I could pretend it was a bowl...
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 12:44:32 AM »
I agree - not Monart.

However, what's this? -
..........and Monart never fire polished their rims.

Really? I'm wondering if a stray word got in there Gary??  ;) :)

Nigel

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 08:33:31 AM »
You got me there Nigel  :), Monart rarely fire polished,is what I should have said, one shape that I know of and that is shape WK.
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:06 AM »
Do you mean Monart rarely fire polished their lampshade rims?  How did they finish them usually please?
m

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
Very little has been written or published on Monart lighting, apart from I Turner's article in The Journal of The Glass Association and Frank's Ysart glass site and both of these need updating to some extent.
Monart lighting be it the type of- uplighter (image 1) downlighter (image 2) or lamps (image 3) are fairly  rare. So far to date I have not seen any lampshades fire polished, I have two Monart post war mushroom lamps, one pre war lamp base (shape P/13) and two pre war uplighters and none of these are fire polished. Much more research needs to be done on Monart lighting.
Image 2 is infact a Vasart piece which I used as an example of a downlighter.
I don't know the technical terms or the technique for finishing the rim, I assume it is shaped using a tool of some sort in the same way a vase would have been made but with a hole drilled on the top of the downlighter for the bulb holder to fit.
Gary

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »
Those edges look rounded and fire polished to me  ???

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
I have been using the term fire polished wrongly  :-[ (every day is a school day) the edges are indeed rounded, I was under the impression fire polished meant the glass being polished or buffed smooth. Also shape WK should read ZK earlier in thread.
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »
that's ok Gary  ;D  I was just beginning to doubt myself completely.  I did though think I  might be talking about the wrong rim - i.e. I was referring to the rim at the wide edge of the shade (which is firepolished) whereas you may have been referring to the cut edge of the drilled hole for the attachment to the electrics or hanging cord if you see what I mean.  I don't often see firepolished edges to those on the lampshades I've had (various art glass lampshades but not MOnart) - but I think I have occasionally had the odd one ground and then polished.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »
My brother has a fire-polished rim Vasart down-light shade.  ;D
Same basic sort of shape as the one you posted, Gary (I don't think it bulges in quite the same way at the bottom, but that could just be the angle of the pic.) It's white with reddy-orange swirls. Far nicer lit than unlit.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »
Phew, I'm glad that's sorted itself out  ;D

Fire polished = rounded edge.

So, usually shades are fire polished, rather than ground with, or without polishing.

For instance, the top of the base to a pre-war mushroom lamps is ground for the fitting, but the rim to the shade is fire polished (rounded). However, post war 'flange' lamps have both base and shade fire polished. This is the 'rule of thumb'. Just so that it's clear to non officionardos!

Cheers Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand