No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: monart light shade?  (Read 7048 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: monart light shade?
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »
Fire polished = rounded edge.
In the context of lamp shades and vase or bowl rims, yes. But in the context of basal finishes of items, including some paperweights, it means "the area is smoothed out by the use of heat" (or some such wording).
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »
just an up date , Dave Moir looked at this shade yesterday and he's 99% it's Monart and its the same German orange they used to use
cheers Ray

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 01:07:09 PM »
Hi Ray as much as I respect Dave Moir's view, I am still of the opinion it is not Monart, for the reasons that I gave earlier in the thread.
If it is the same German orange that Monart used, it is not beyond the realms possibility of other glassworks or even fakers gaining access to that particular colour.
Gary

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »
yes gary i know what you mean , i know nothing about monart so i do respect your words.... one  question Gary.. in the war years  did Monart get the glass from Germany or did they have other suppliers .. cheers
cheers Ray

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
I'm wondering if this might be a French shade?

I've seen French pieces with this cut and polished rim and the layers of the colour with the transparent casing over the coloured inner layer I think.  And that shape is one that would fit in with some I've seen. 
The other possibility is that it's a newer more contemporary model ala La Rochere type glass.

I can see there are similarities with the 'possible fake' monart mushroom style lamp Gary posted but the dark bits don't look as though they were laid on in the same way.
m

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 05:04:33 PM »
 Moncrieff got their coloured enamels from Schuster & Wilhelm of Germany before the Second world war.
When the war started they could no longer obtain their coloured enamels from that source.
 During the war Monart ceased production. After the war Schuster & Wilhelm was situated in East Germany and could no longer source the coloured enamels from there.
After the war they obtained their coloured enamels from Kugler of West Germany.
Ray I spent an  enjoyable evening at Dave Moir house a couple of weeks ago admiring and talking about his glass with him.
Gary

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
And Vasart often used coloured enamels they obtained by scraping them off tiles!
Quite incredible ingenuity - but a limited source and choice óf actual colours.

I (personally) assume that's why there is so much distemper green - it was a fashionable colour for bathrooms  - before avocado obviously! 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »
i also do not in anyway think this shade is monart nor ysart, infact not too sure its even scottish, a good few years back i had around 60 plus lamps :o in my collection of monart,vasart,strathearn,perthshire paperweights, including mushrooms , pedestal/ etc etc and a few rare ones and i have never seen this colourway nor the finnish, so i am 100% this is not Ysart glass
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Hi Sue

Vasart didn't scrape the Vitrolite tiles - the tiles were solid vitrolite.

Dave Moir told me that the tiles were offcuts from a friend of Auggie who
was a glazier. As you say there was a very limited choice of colours - Dave
said the most common offcuts they got were Green, Orange and grey.

They used to stack three or four of the offcuts on a metal plate at the furnace mouth
until they were hot enough to pick up on a puntie iron.

Best regards

Derek

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
Ah-ha! Thanks for that snippet of info, Derek!
I still have a butler sink in my utility room, with what I am assuming is vitriolite surounds. It's not tiles per se, but big sheets of glass, 7mm thick.
This would be the kind of thing? It's the correct distemper/celadon colour (shudder.... I hate that colour!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand