No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iridescent Gilded Vase possibly Bohemian or Continental ..?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Iridescent Gilded Vase possibly Bohemian or Continental ..?
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »
I suspect this may be Bohemian around 1900, or possibly continental, would welcome any thoughts..

The body of the vase has an image of a large bird, possibly a pheasant or phoenix which has been gilded. There are also a number of randomly spaced gilded circular motifs running around the vase. The bird and circular motifs all stand slightly proud of the body by around 1mm or so, you can feel the raised design underneath, even where the gilding has worn and since disappeared in places. So would appear to be a raised design which has then been gilded over the top.

Plenty of base wear to the underside, slight concave pontil mark which is unpolished. Measures 7.5 inches tall.

All thoughts welcome.
Thanks
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Iridescent Gilded Vase possibly Bohemian or Continental ..?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
the design and the image and the vermicular gilding reminds me of these, but I think these are enamelled on acid cutback vases.  Nevertheless there are distinct similarities.  So perhaps yours is a Carl Goldberg design on a different blank?
https://sites.google.com/site/loetzandglass/loetz-and-karl-goldberg-a

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:33:05 PM »
Well spotted m,knew I'd seen something similar somewhere ;D ;D ;D,like the vase Greg.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:26:01 PM »
Many thanks M and Keith.  :)

That's a great shout M, looking at the two, I'm fairly certain it is indeed a Goldberg design.

Much appreciated.
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand