No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Richardsons Ink Bottle?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Richardsons Ink Bottle?
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
I'm going for Richardsons with this one?
Obviously the stopper is wrong but it does sort of balance the shape as the original is missing

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Richardsons Ink Bottle?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »

Hi Nick.

I'd go for Richardsons too - and probably an earlier piece, given the cane colours and slightly untidy (for them) set up. What I do not know is what early means, other than pre-1900: I know of no evidence that helps date their pieces in the 1850 to 1900 period. If any one else does, that would be great news.

Richardson bottles are often missing their stoppers, as the original shafts were thin - sometimes pencil thin - and got broken very easily.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:27:08 PM »
Thanks Alan was pretty sure it was Richardson by the canes but could not quite match the shape to other examples I could find.

On the subject of stoppers I have a rather nice Whitefriars one which seems to be pretty thick compared to the Richardson ones, I just need to find a bottle to match it :)

Nick

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:34:50 PM »

Hi Nick.

Are you sure it is a Whitefriars stopper? There are some thick stemmed, very neat Walsh Walsh ones around. Can you post a picture?

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »
Not sure if this will work from my iPad but here goes.
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s441/Sparky7724/02-10-12/e4793499dce73eb9a3ba534861cfb295.jpg

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s441/Sparky7724/02-10-12/5da80f400b1e805f0594e3471ac788b6.jpg

Sorry can't seem to upload direct to the board will try and change from my pc tomorrow.

Regards
Nick

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 08:59:43 PM »

Hi Nick.

Interesting. One of those early Whitefriars / late Walsh Walsh pieces I think, made around 1950 -1951. I have discussed with Brian Slingsby and others a bottle and stopper I own with some of those canes, including the heart centred cane. Their view was 'not Whitefriars' but late Walsh Walsh - yet some of the canes in my bottle also appear in Whitefriars 'Triplex' weights. So I suspect that canes moved to Whitefriars when Walsh Walsh closed - we know that workers did.

Alan

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
Thanks Alan, earlier than I thought then, just got to try and find the bottle to match!

Nick

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
Stopper images uploaded

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum