No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart cameo at Kelvingrove museum  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart cameo at Kelvingrove museum
« on: October 02, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »
I spent a very enjoyable at Kelvingrove museum yesterday, below is few pictures I took of the only known Monart cameo vase. The large red plate is by Herbert Dreier.
One of the many highlights was viewing Salvador (not Ysart)  :) Dali "Christ of Saint John of the Cross and the Charles Rennie Mackintosh collection
Gary

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Monart cameo at Kelvingrove museum
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »
Hi Gary,

Thanks very much for the photos :) I wasn't aware of that piece. Very interesting seeing the cameo technique on a vase, even though a tad on the sparse side!

Clap me in irons, but I'm afraid I can see why there are critics of Monart cameo from that example though  :o  Does it look better in reality, as it looks a bit cruder in the photos than the lamp bases that tend to turn up?

Thanks again, Nigel

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:25:27 AM »
I am not a fan of the cameo finish on Monart either, the vase is even more cruder and sparser than the lamps that have appeared. The colours on the vase has no green foilage just the orange back ground and brown branches. The actual acid etching is not as deep as the other Monart cameo pieces I have seen.
Gary

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »
Had the etching been controlled better, I think the vase would have been a really good piece as it shows a delicacy (not unlike much "ancient" Oriental work) that is not seen in the rather ugly "splat" of green that counts as "leaves" seen on the Monart cameo lamp bases.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand