No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green Oval Crystal Facet cut Paperweight  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Green Oval Crystal Facet cut Paperweight
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »
Hi, Can anyone I.D this Crystal Paperweight.  The Centre point is of main interest, as I have not seen this type of design before.  I have tried researching this paperweight but unable to find it's origin.  This paperweight was amongst a job lot that I purchased over the weekend and this particular one I must say really stood out from the rest when paying attention to quality and design.  Within what appears to be some sort of a design netting is a large trapped air pocket.   The paperweight has a flat polished base 4.1cm dia.    The height is 8.4cm and the widest point is approx. 7.6cm.  The facet cut is 6.1cm x 5.2cm.   Any help appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Green Oval Crystal Facet cut Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
Hi Otis.

I have seen similar items on Chinese manufacturer websites, but that does not mean yours is definitely Chinese: it might be the original design they copied!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
Thanks for that Alan.  I did not realise that they were able to produce to this quality.  If it is original, do you have any ideas as to it's origin?

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:20:26 PM »
Hi,  I found this quality paperweight on Ebay whilst researching some other paperweights I managed to pick up over the weekend. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Langham-Glass-Paperweight-Conical-Blue-Facet-Cut-/251159739884?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item3a7a497dec.

Can any confirm that this item is a Langham glass paperweight?

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »
Hi,  I found this quality paperweight on Ebay ........... Can any confirm that this item is a Langham glass paperweight?
There is no mention of a signature of the base, and no image either: you may want to ask the seller about this.
I cannot be sure that all Langham weights are signed - but have seen a fair number with a stenciled signature, few scratch signed. So - if the weight on ebay is not signed, it may still be Langham, but one should be careful with this attribution.

Alternatively ... just ask: http://www.langhamglass.co.uk/
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »
Hi, Having carried out further research based on the information gathered, I would say that the paperweight posted is not Langham Glass, as I initially thought.  Langham Glass are normally signed.  My piece is more likely to be Chinese.  The one posted on Ebay is also likely to be Chinese, unless there is a valid signature on the base to prove otherwise.   It is also possible, that some pieces slip through the net without signatures after being made.  I have not contacted the Seller, as I am happy to label mine as Chinese................then again,   I could be wrong about that too! :-X.    Anyway, thanks for your information, as this has helped to determine mine.  :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
But labelling it as "Chinese" without definite proof of that attribution is surely as bad as calling it anything else without proof.
KevinH

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 03:51:23 AM »
I have to emphatically agree with you!  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand