No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glasses & Ice Bucket with Anchor Seals; I don't think they're Rosenthal...  (Read 2006 times)

Offline marie anne

• Members
Hi,

I bought these recently and am confused about their identity - any help would be much appreciated.  I don't think they are from the Rosenthal Pirates range as the handles on the ice bucket/wine cooler are wrong and the anchor on the seal looks to different to pictures I've seen of the Rosenthal ones.  They are nicely made and the glasses are 10cm (4 inches) high.  The ice bucket seems a bit small for a wine bottle cooler.  I wondered if the thread in "anchors away!"  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4743 is relevant but the picture links are broken.
Thanks for any help or info.
Marie.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I have 8 examples here and 6  show an anchor - and it is not the same as yours. The others show a fish, and skull and crossbones. Never noticed that before... What is more remarkable is that all parts of the Pirate range here are straight sided, all are strictly cylindrical.  Not sure if it helps you in your query, but hey.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marie anne

• Members
Thank you for your reply.  I like your photo - the decanter looks great and I hadn't realised all the Pirates range is straight-sided.  It helps confirm that my glasses are not Rosenthal Pirates.  I am really stumped as to what they are.  I should have mentioned that some of them have oval stickers with 'Foreign' on them, but no clue as to the maker.  'Foreign' doesn't narrow it down much!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
In the UK, Foreign often mean German or Japanese. German looks a good bet

Offline marie anne

• Members
German would make sense if they're "inspired" by Rosenthal Pirates.  Here is a photo of the label in case it helps.
Thanks,
Marie.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
if you put "rosenthal pirates" through Google image you get a whole lot of images, including ice buckets and lemon wedge holders which are not straight-sided.  I could imagine these have been in production for some time and the design may have been simplified or complicated, or the range may have been extended in that time.

Offline marie anne

• Members
Thanks for explaining the lemon wedge holder.  :)  I thought it seemed small for an ice bucket or wine cooler.  I take what you say about the design changing, and that could account for the variation in the anchor style, but I haven't seen any Rosenthal pieces with the little curled handles.  There's a good set of examples of the Pirates range at http://www.replacements.com/webquote/RC_PIR.htm with over 20 images.  Some of the glasses don't look straight, although I'd wondered if that was the camera lens, but none of the glasses are the same height as mine either.  I would be very happy to think my pieces are from the Rosenthal Pirate range but am hesitating to conclude it. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand