No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who made me !? - ID = Sowerby  (Read 3198 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Who made me !?
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 01:22:13 PM »
Hi , I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I thought it was made in some sort of industrial fashion , it’s got a bit of a Pyrex feel but i don’t know how it was made ,certainly not blown though .I just can’t get a image of the mark looking into the bowl and I’m fairly sure that’s how it was intended to be viewed ,here’s a few more images .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2023, 09:37:42 PM »
oh nice pic. Can see the peacock now. 

See also this one from a similar period?  but I can't find it in my house at the moment so no idea what I've done with it or whether it has a mark.  I guess not but the post was a long time ago:

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34721.msg187920.html#msg187920

A brown one on Etsy  but not the same as your bowl - more bottle brown glass that one.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2023, 09:49:36 PM »
Stylistically this bowl looks similar to me to Davidson’s 531 bowl designed by J.D. Cochrane and launched in the early sixties. The main difference being that the 531 bowl has a more elongated oval shape. Something interesting I read on Chris and Val Stewart’s site (cloudglass.com) about the 531 pattern: ‘ This design was subsequently copied by other manufacturers, most noticeably Sowerby, who produced similar shaped designs in a variety of sizes.’ http://cloudglass.com/davidsonpostwar.htm

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2023, 07:35:51 AM »
Yes a much better photo showing it is the Sowerby mark. If the diameter is the same it might be the 2794 bowl shown here, the catalogue image isn't very clear. I would say it was pressed in a mould to give it it's shape and to produce the mark.

https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/glass_catalogues/sowerby/list41/?page=2
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2023, 08:39:09 AM »
That's definitely pressed and a Sowerby mark. Likely an old base plate was used in a 1970s product

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Who made me !? - ID = Sowerby
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2023, 06:00:53 AM »
It certainly does look like 2794 ,although it’s diameter is 8”.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Who made me !? - ID = Sowerby
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2023, 07:33:50 AM »
The sizes given in the catalogues weren't always exact, I've had a look for a photo of a 2794 bowl but can't find one.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand