No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Vasart or Strathearn ? 13 spoke, dark blue dome ,ground base  (Read 5161 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Is this Vasart or Strathearn ? 13 spoke, dark blue dome ,ground base
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »
Yes, definitely a fire polished base on yours, M.
Yes, I agree with an attribution of: Strathearn but maybe late Vasart Ltd.

Regarding the canes:
... the yellow middles in the beige canes are whorls open ended as opposed to tubes.
Really!! I have never seen a whorl cane used in any Vasart (Ysart Brothers), Vasart Ltd. or Strathearn weight. Can you get a macro image of one or two of those canes (maybe even taking a photo through a hand-held magnifyer would help)?

2. Whenever I see the use of many of those canes that look like "snowflakes", or "stars/cogs with castelated points" (i.e. three points to each of the main points) my mind automatically locks in to "probably a Vasart Ltd. or Strathearn" weight. In fact at one point I used to believe, with no proper reason, that it indicated a Strathearn cane. Then I began to see that cane design in Vasart Ltd. weights. And then I noted a few in some Ysart Brothers (Vasart) weights! So, just like looking at base finishes etc., specific cane features can also be a bit of a problem when taken on their own.

Also, as an aside, please note that weight No. 15 in my article linked to above should be noted as being a PP1 from Perthshire Paperweights. I should have changed the attribution some time ago!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 09:02:55 AM »
Hi Kev
Many thanks :)  I also thought that cane was a Strathearn cane I must admit, but I think I found one under Vasart paperweight somewhere so that probably added to my possibly thinking it might be. I've sent you an email with a high resolution picture on it that you should be able to enlarge to see them.  If you don't receive it please let me know.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »
The possible whorl cane.

From the photos sent to me by M, I have cropped parts a created separate images for study here. The first two are of separate examples of the whole cane, with the possible whorl in the central element.

The other four images (next post) have been enlarged from the detail of a close-up photo and tweaked to try bring out the detail more clearly.

I think the "whorl" is actually a collapsed tube of yellow over clear with a yellow rod in the centre. But I can see the reason for this to be a possible whorl cane.

What do other folk think?

Anyone fancy studying the detail of their Vasart / Strathearn weights to see if a clear example of a whorl cane can be found?

KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:03 PM »
And ...
KevinH

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 10:07:26 PM »
I don't see this as being a whorl, intentionally anyway. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »
thanks Kev, you've done a great job :)
I see what you mean about a collapsed tube over a yellow rod.
The effect under magnification is how you've pictured them. I can't see any clear but perhaps that' swhat it is, a thin central rod with a tube around it and it's got squashed at the top so you can't see the clear surrounding the rod (if I've understood you correctly?) - Mind you in reality it is absolutely minute so it's very difficult to see anything without the magnification on the computer, but it stood out for some reason and made me look more closely at it.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 08:53:38 PM »
Last question I promise :) did Strathearn make 'hollow' canes?  despite my earlier comment that they have striped going across them, having looked more closely even, the orange outer canes have a bluey/purply striped 'lining' to the orange outers but the inside is either clear glass or completely hollow, I guess clear glass.
thanks for your patience
m

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »
Hi M

You are correct its clear glass.

Making hollow tubing is a VERY time consuming and difficult process and therefore
costly. Given the rate that Strathearn churned out their PW's and the price they
got for them, hollow canes would not have been on the agend.

To give you some idea of the output of Strathearn millefiori paperweights – there
were 6 girls doing nothing but setting up the paperweights and each glassmaker
was expected to make 100 PW’s every shift.

Best regards

Derek

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »
Hi

I once had around 450 Strathearn paperweights - spokes and closepacks. I saw just about every possible combination of colours and clear glass and shapes and layers in the canes in them , so I would not rule out anything!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 09:29:28 PM »
 Derek thank you for your information - I find all those details really interesting - and just wow!  On an 8 hour shift that's 12  per hour ish, 5minutes per paperweight or less ...really??  :o amazing.

Alan, do you mean it could be hollow?  it does look hollow (but then the yellow ones look like a whorls on the inside  to me lol)- I'm trying to get the best angle to see if I can find any reflection of the top of the cane but so far it still looks hollow.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand