Author Topic: Is this Vasart or Strathearn ? 13 spoke, dark blue dome ,ground base  (Read 1086 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • My Paperweights Website
Re: Is this Vasart or Strathearn ? 13 spoke, dark blue dome ,ground base
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 06:45:11 AM »

I doubt very much it would be hollow: that would mean it would be filled with air at pickup, and you would get large bubbles over the cane on encasement. And it would look silvery now if full of air.  Even the tiny air channels that are sometimes left between canes cause bubbles - hence the seemingly regular array of tiny bubbles on the cushion of some weights.

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
Hi M

Yes it sounds amazing, a weight every 5 minutes, but its true. Dave Moir told me and he was at Ysart Brothers then Vasart and
finally Strathearn from the day it opened until the day they stopped making the Strathearn brand there in 1980. 

Dave has also confirmed that they definitely did NOT use hollow canes !

Factory production of paperweights produces some amazing figures - at its peak in the mid 1990's Caithness was producing
150,000 paperweights a year from 18 chairs! Even the much smaller operation at Selkirk Glass was making 25,000 a year at its peak.

Best regards

Derek

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »
Thanks :) I love all this detail and information and am grateful you take the time to impart it, it adds another dimension of interest for me.
m

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand