Glass Discussion & Research. No ID requests here please. > British & Irish Glass

Nailsea Glass History

(1/3) > >>

BohaGlass:
Hi Guys,

We live just a few miles from the original Nailsea Glass factory and have been saddened by the fact that it has been pulverised to make way for a new Tescos.
We have gathered some information to create a potted history of the Nailsea Glass complete with pictures of the original glassworks. Please click on the link to see the Nailsea Glass History article.

Best regards
Barnaby

David E:
Many thanks for sharing this. I also have this link which if you click the downloads link gives a full history of the archaeology dig.

Hope it is of interest.

BohaGlass:
[Mod: Separate topics on same subject merged into one]

Hello,

I have been trying to gather information about Nailsea Glass and managed to locate some photos of the old Nailsea Glass Factory.  This is what I have gathered so far:

http://www.bohaglass.co.uk/nailsea-glass/

It would be great to add even more information about Nailsea Glass, as there is nothing much in Nailsea (about 4 miles from here) as Tesco built on top of the old factory.

Any information will be given author credit.

Kind regards
Barnaby

David E:
I did give you a link here that was unacknowledged:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49719.0.html

Frank:
We need to rename Nailsea Glass to Bolsterstone glass, examples can be seen in the University of Sheffield glass collection. Bolsterstone started in 1650s and closed down in 1758 but were a major glassworks making every type of glass including various items now called Nailsea glass. They also used colours. The white enamel they used for the marvered in blobs and streaks in Nailsea type was 52.8% lead oxide. Bolsterstone was also highly innovative with pre-heating and closed pots... not seen again for a long time after their demise or known about until the 1980s. (Ashurst - South Yorkshire Glass)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version