No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nailsea Glass History  (Read 8323 times)

Offline BohaGlass

• Members
  • Owner - Boha Glass
    • Bristol, UK
    • Boha Glass - Art Glass from Bohemia and Beyond
Nailsea Glass History
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:24:34 PM »
Hi Guys,

We live just a few miles from the original Nailsea Glass factory and have been saddened by the fact that it has been pulverised to make way for a new Tescos.
We have gathered some information to create a potted history of the Nailsea Glass complete with pictures of the original glassworks. Please click on the link to see the Nailsea Glass History article.

Best regards
Barnaby
Barnaby Kirsen
Boha Glass - Glass Ornaments

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Nailsea Glass History
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
Many thanks for sharing this. I also have this link which if you click the downloads link gives a full history of the archaeology dig.

Hope it is of interest.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline BohaGlass

• Members
  • Owner - Boha Glass
    • Bristol, UK
    • Boha Glass - Art Glass from Bohemia and Beyond
Nailsea Glass History
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
[Mod: Separate topics on same subject merged into one]

Hello,

I have been trying to gather information about Nailsea Glass and managed to locate some photos of the old Nailsea Glass Factory.  This is what I have gathered so far:

http://www.bohaglass.co.uk/nailsea-glass/

It would be great to add even more information about Nailsea Glass, as there is nothing much in Nailsea (about 4 miles from here) as Tesco built on top of the old factory.

Any information will be given author credit.

Kind regards
Barnaby
Barnaby Kirsen
Boha Glass - Glass Ornaments

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
I did give you a link here that was unacknowledged:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49719.0.html
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »
We need to rename Nailsea Glass to Bolsterstone glass, examples can be seen in the University of Sheffield glass collection. Bolsterstone started in 1650s and closed down in 1758 but were a major glassworks making every type of glass including various items now called Nailsea glass. They also used colours. The white enamel they used for the marvered in blobs and streaks in Nailsea type was 52.8% lead oxide. Bolsterstone was also highly innovative with pre-heating and closed pots... not seen again for a long time after their demise or known about until the 1980s. (Ashurst - South Yorkshire Glass)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
Nice one Frank :) thanks
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
Had Bolsterstone surfaced in 1890s would that be todayś term? And as a result Nailsea lost as just another Bolsterstone style maker? Instead Nailsea glassworks has proven enigmatic with research that might never have happened without is name coming to the fore as it has.

Bolsterstone was clearly a more important works for many reasons, hopefully it will benefit from modern archaeology one day too.

Strange turns of history.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »
It's a shame about the specks of glass drops not being able to be investigated at Nailsea.  But I have to say I have bought a few pieces of glass that have literally come from the Nailsea area, none seem to tally with what the Nailsea history is so far, but I find it hard to believe that having been bought in that literal area, there isn't some connection.
I'm keeping quiet for now  :)
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:25 PM »
As much as as our fantasies might wander the reality is that some will have been made at the Nailsea glassworks and others at the glassworks down the road. So a label is assumed. But what you have is a piece of glass history and unlike many of the history books you can touch it and know it is real. Somehow to me that seems so much more important than knowing exactly who it was made by and on what day. The story of the works is of course a different kettle of fish for me.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »
quite.  Strangely, I was watching a program on Napoleon and the Duke of Wellington a couple of weeks ago - and whilst they were discussing the Duke of Wellington dying (1852) I was sat looking at a Clichy paperweight, unpolished with all it's pits and grazes.  I picked it up and held it remarking to OH that it actually carries the DNA of people who were making it at more or less exactly that time.  Amazing.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand