No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nailsea Glass History  (Read 8325 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Nailsea Glass History
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 07:49:37 AM »
I love the fact that most of my glass has history, even if I don't know who made it. When we were in Scotland we went on a Land Rover safari up Glen Tilt along the very track Queen Victoria trotted on her pony. Now I've plenty of places I know she's been, but this made/and still makes her seem real to me.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 01:01:13 AM »
Cool! I remember on my one (and only so far) trip to Scotland, I was in Holyrood Palace. An American (as evidenced by their accent) behind me excitedly asked the guide where the blood stains from Rizzio's murder where. After he told them where, they scurried off to see them. I quipped to the guide that he had neglected to tell them it was really from the cleaning lady who had hurt herself the previous week. I mean really, who believes blood stains wouldn't get faded after 430 years.

Carolyn

Offline BohaGlass

• Members
  • Owner - Boha Glass
    • Bristol, UK
    • Boha Glass - Art Glass from Bohemia and Beyond
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 06:24:45 PM »
Hi David E
Apologies! I didn't see that post. The downloads link looks absolutely fact-filled, so thank you very much for pointing me towards this treasure trove of information, and I am soo sorry it has taken me 4 years to respond!!
Better late than never :-)
Kind regards
Barnaby
Barnaby Kirsen
Boha Glass - Glass Ornaments

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 12:52:10 PM »
I found this Nailsea snippet when doing some research which I will append here for posterity.

In my personal copy of Manchester Faces and Places magazine c1890s, there is an article on Councillor Frederick Smallman (photo attached). In his bio it states that he was born in November 1845, in the "little Somersetshire village of Nailsea."

"One of the few Nailsea industries was that of glass making, in which his father was engaged. The trade being at the time in a depressed condition in the district, Mr Smallman senior, soon after the birth of his son, removed to the neighbourhood of Birmingham, which promised fuller employment and better wages than the Somersetshire village afforded."

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 04:02:33 PM »
There is information online on Nailsea glassmakers but it's local info and I'm not sure there is copyright permission to pass on links.

There is a long list of Baptisms at Christ Church- amongst them:

There was a Clement baptised 12 May 1844 born to William and Ann Smallman occupation glasscutter

There was a Samuel baptised 16 June 1844 born to Brittan and Albinia Smallman occupation Glass worker.

I presume the occupation relates to the father.

There are a couple of other occupations listed as Glass worker on the list, some Glass man,and some Glass cutter.
 There are lots of baptisms with occupations of fathers listed as Glass maker in the 1852 and 1853 and 1855 baptism list in both Nailsea and Christ Church.  And some listed as Glass blower.  So at that time there seems to have been some occupation in Glassmaking.

On Sep 16 1866 there seems to have been a group baptism of loads of Glass makers children.

The occupation of the father linked to glass making seems to come to a halt completely in 1873!  Thereafter none that I could see.

There is also a huge amount of information here:
https://www.b-i-a-s.org.uk/BIAS_Journal_31_NAILSEA_GLASSWORKS.pdf

AT some point late 18th they converted from Bottle blowing to window glass according to that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand