No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Michael Harris designs for Chance - Swirl???  (Read 1322 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Michael Harris designs for Chance - Swirl???
« on: October 06, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
"No, no, no" I scream at the screen, as I unearth two listings on eBay this morning that are trying to claim that Michael Harris designed Swirl for Chance...  ::)

Heck, we've already had people trying to attribute the design of Swirl to Margaret Casson and Robert Goodden, both of which are inaccurate. Feel free to download p.86-87 from Chance Expressions, which are my findings on this enigmatic design.

Harris was 22 when Swirl was first announced in 1955, in preparation for the Spring Fairs of that year, so he would have have had to have designed it the year before. However, he was studying at the RCA at the time. I also spoke to Elizabeth, his widow, when writing Chance Expressions, and she was adamant that Calypto (1959) was his first design for Chance Brothers. Anemone was the last collaboration in 1965.

"The inspiration for the design could therefore quite possibly have been [Robert] Barrington's" is my conclusion.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Michael Harris designs for Chance - Swirl???
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »
David,  ;)
just your title to this thread had me screaming "no, no, no" at my screen!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand