No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Airlie Kirkhill Glass Scotland perfume bottle  (Read 4594 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
John Airlie Kirkhill Glass Scotland perfume bottle
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »
Just thought I would share these photos I know Shiona is a member and may be interested. Only seen a few examples of vases over the years never one with a stopper before. It's 7" high including the stopper.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/JohnAirlieKirkhillGlassPerfume

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: John Airlie Kirkhill Glass Scotland perfume bottle
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
Knowing a little about John Airlie and his contribution to glass making in general and even less about Scottish glass but retaining a good memory from some long forgotten posts I had read on here in the past and appeals for examples of his work. Dare I say (which is quite unusual for me) I was quite excited when I spotted this piece at the weekend knowing immediately what is was. Even had no qualms about handing over my hard earned cash, which I never do lightly but based on the theory I know I will never get my money back but it looks quite an usual example with the huge stopper so 'I'll take one for the team' and of course  'cause it was signed and labelled the seller immediately assumed it was worth a small fortune.
So quite deflated to look in today and find it all ready 'relegated' to the 'annals' of page 2 with only a hand full of viewings and no replies.
A lesson learned, in future don't buy glass on a sentimental whim stick to my old adage 'glass is profit', or of course stick it in British glass where it will hover around for a lot longer  ;D
Chris

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »
It is a lovely perfume bottle Chris, and I was surprised that non of the Scottish glass enthusiats had acknowledged or commented on it.  It seems the complete antithesis of the reason for having this forum??

Perhaps one of the mods would be good enough to alert Shiona to this thread as she is a member?
It would be a shame for her not to be told about it. It wouldn't take a minute, and could make her very happy.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
You and me too Rosie how odd? then again it may have just 'slipped' through the net maybe with hindsight I should put it in British glass?
Thanks anyway for taking the time to make a comment, appreciated.
Chris

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:06:38 AM »
Have mailed Shiona.

It is a lovely piece and the thread should be in British Glass.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »
I think Chris mentioned earlier in the thread that this could have gone into British Glass, Frank,  but decided that less people would be less likely to see it as for the most part, many of us tend to graduate to 'Glass' to see what is new...
Rosie.

Offline shionaairlie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
Been away folks, hence the delay. It is a lovely perfume bottle and you should treasure it. Neither Mum or myself had any as the stoppers were such a nuisance (I am being polite) to make that Dad produced very few. I finally managed to buy two on e-bay but they rarely appear on the market. Many thanks for letting me know about it - another one for the family archive.
Shiona

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »
Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment.
I did try through this board to get your attention on this piece Shiona and despite the obvious importance of John's work and the general interest in British glass and Scottish glass in particular through this board, apart from Rosemary sadly I received no help or interest  whatsoever with this piece.
Chris

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »
You know as much about John Airle as I do, Chris.
There is some info. on Scotland's Glass, the rest you will find searching here.
I've been reading the thread in the hope of learing myself.
Assuming a lack of interest because there are no comments is inappropriate.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
Sue, I think it is YOUR comments here are inappropriate. 

Chris was NOT asking for information,  he was simply sharing his find with us all, and quite rightly expected a degree of enthusiasm and some positive comments on this beautiful piece.
His ultimate goal was to ensure that Shiona was aware of it. And quite rightly when she did see it described it as being a piece to treasure.

Chris's comments on the apparent lack of interest from those we would all expect to be thrilled to have the chance to see this piece, are, sadly, very true.
Had YOU found it and listed it as a 'show and tell', I feel certain that you would have been as hurt as I suspect Chris was.
He has a website that he freely gives access to all of you here on the GMB and I for one am getting rather irritated by the lack of appreciation given for this.
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand