No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Airlie Kirkhill Glass Scotland perfume bottle  (Read 4596 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: John Airlie Kirkhill Glass Scotland perfume bottle
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 02:42:10 AM »
My original post was going to be, "Sorry. I'll add this to the list of 'one more thing I've got to feel guilty about' file."  However, that's a little too sarcastic.  That reaction is, nevertheless, a fair indication of how Rosie's admonition affected me.

As it is, I'm not quite sure who Rosie is addressing or representing when she writes, "from those we would all expect to be thrilled to have the chance to see this piece." Who are the "those"? Who are the "we" who are all expecting?  And how does Rosie know that those "who would be thrilled" have even seen the thread? Rosie seems to acknowledge that she had seen the original post, and yet she didn't comment immediately.

Chris writes, that apart from Rosie, "I received no help or interest  whatsoever with this piece." Yet, by the time he wrote that, it would seem somebody from the Board (a Mod. perhaps?) had alerted Frank, who posted and alerted Shiona.  Shiona then posted explaining she had been away. This seems like a fairly good response to me.

Also, I'm not sure that membership of this Board comes with an obligation to praise. I use the Board to learn about glass generally and to identify pieces I acquire that I can't attribute. In return, I make an effort to add any information or understanding that I can to a thread.  I can appreciate that some members want to share new found pieces. I may look at them, but I don't feel an obligation to make general noises of approval unless I'm moved to do so and have the knowledge to do so. And I'm not going to feel bad about that.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 08:47:32 AM »
 Help meant helping me get in touch with  Shiona, John's daughter who I would have loved to have GAVE the piece to.
I never asked for help with information Sue I knew what it was.
Funnily enough I did search the board and came up with requests for examples of Johns work.
So armed with a perfect example with a stopper I have never seen which was signed dated and labelled I must confess I did expect a comment or 2 from the 4 or 5 members who had commented on previous threads that turned up in my search.
Not looking for help Sue or praise either David for that matter though I did 'bump' it a couple of times hopefully to get it moved to British glass? and for someone to get in touch with Shiona and hopefully someone  from Scotlandsglass would take a look because I thought it deserved to go in there>
Also David you are again way off the mark with your statement.
"It would seem somebody from the board alerted Frank a mod maybe?"
Pretty sure also David Rosie meant the people at Scotlandsglass and maybe those that are currently fawning all over the Studio piece threads that are currently all over the board when she said.
"Chris's comments on the apparent lack of interest from those we would all expect to be thrilled to have the chance to see this piece, are, sadly, very true"
So please do not try to turn the thread into something it was never intended to be with 'antagonising' comments.
I don't seek praise of you collectors on here just your dollars ;)

Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 09:40:02 AM »
A very quick search on kirkhill reveals both Shiona's email and her user name...

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
Off course I could have yes Christine. Anyone though can 'throw' little one liners in to make me feel even more stupid I suppose  ;D
Indecently a quick search of 'Kirkhill' also brings up....

"It's not only lovely-It's an important of history I am sure Scotland's glass would love images of your piece" 

I'll poke Shiona later"

"I did poke Shiona via facebook but got no response"

"Does anyone else have examples of John Airlie Kirkhill glass?"

"I will ask his daughter to take a peek"

Just a few of the 'helpful' replies from previous post none which were afforded to me?

And of course the 'real' reason' why Rosemary was upset.

"i actually sold two airlie scent bottles last year that were bought by John Airlies daughter, i remember having a discussion with her and her joy of obtaining pieces made from her father

apparently some items were stolen , i have emailed her and given her the link to the forum with the hope she might reply direct"

Sorry a post that started off with the best intentions appears to be going downhill fast.

Surely another case of not "what was said' but more to do with "who said it"?

Forget too add David I think what Rosie meant about my Picasa album, being a general glass dealer, and not a specific collector it is really helpful because there is such a varied selection from various makers which is always a bonus when trying to pinpoint a certain piece. 99% of the pieces I know what they are and most have been sold on anyway so most people would delete the photos  to generate space which I pay a premium for, not me though I choose to leave them in, in the hope they prove useful even if it's only through a google search.

Chris

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
I would guess that I've stumbled on to something that's about more than what it at first seems to be about. I should have guessed that and stayed away from this thread, as I have no interest whatsoever in such situations.

Chris, as an outsider, my point was that you did get help, and yet most of your energy seemed focused, and still seems focused, on the help you didn't get.  Read your reply to Shiona, for example.  Also, you say that you were not looking for praise. Perhaps you could point that out to Rosie, who wrote that you "quite rightly expected a degree of enthusiasm and some positive comments."

Rose, I'm taking from what Chris said that you had expectations of specific people. It might help if  you expressed that privately to the small group Chris said you had in mind, rather than direct public criticism at what seemed  to me to be a very broad range of people. It would also keep apparent enmities between a few people away from the broad mass of the group.

That's it for me. 

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »
David, again I did not get one offer of help at all with my request. Maybe that is why I highlighted on the help I didn't get?
The one reply came after I myself 'prompted' it through an email  regarding another matter.
Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand