No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Elephant - ID = Chinese probably HUICHANG  (Read 5879 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Elephant - ID = Chinese probably HUICHANG
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »
Posting this in Murano as I am confident it's Italian. Purple Elephant 4.25" high. I have a fair few small lamp work elephants but this is bigger and it has a gold leaf body with wavy coloured glass lines. I see similar in the Murano Zoo but nothing close enough to attribute to.

Adam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Elephant
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 02:00:29 AM »
I don't think your elephant is Murano glass. I am more inclined to say it is Oriental. This shape and foil technique look more Chinese to me. (I hope your elephant doesn't hunt me down and charge.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »
It would only be a baby charge, Anita ;)
He's lovely Adam, has a bit of character, looks as if he's saying; "Hang on Mum, wait for me!"  but I can't help remotely with id. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »
I did think he was Murano lamp work. He is so like my other ID'd Murano lamp work animals. Ah well...

Thanks Sue, he is cute where ever he's from.

Adam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »
Adam, the elephant might be Murano. It is hard to know exactly where the little animals come from. Most of the animals in the zoo were born from the furnace, but lamp working is becoming very important in the Venice area. It makes sense, since the cost of keeping the furnaces going must be very high.

The reason I thought your elephant could be oriental is it reminded me of these: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/235271100/glass_elephant.html. This type of ribbed work is used very often for Chinese pieces. Several Oriental companies make similar elephants.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:22:50 PM »
I think that is a good link Anita. Mine is virtually the same.

Adam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »
Alibaba is so handy for things that are still being made. I wish we had an Alibaba cache for years gone by. It would be so extensive, though, that I'm sure no one would want to do it.

Thinking of Chinese, I realized this week that much of the high-production Chinese glass designs are now becoming vintage. I wondered how the vintage shopping sites, e.g. Ruby Lane and Etsy vintage, would handle people including these things in their inventory. In years past, we could weed out the mass-produced Chinese things with the rule that things had to be 20 years old or more. That won't weed them out anymore. I hope the vintage sites don't start looking like souvenir shops!

But then, Victorian glass people used to worry about those reproductions coming out of Murano. :)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
HI

I would agree to the Oriental origin.  The shape and overall finesse in its creation just aren't indicative of Murano, SORRY!  I have attached an image of a Murano Elephant here for you to compare the techniques and creative differences that clearly define your example of being of Oriental origin

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
Dean, one example from one Murano maker doesn't really define anything.  :-\
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
Looking at Adam's ellie and Anita's close attribution, tells me that what I have always thought, was true.  There are some really lovely glass animals and birds made in China, and the quality is geting better all the time. 
Why people try to say it is inferior to Murano glass is beyond me, there is good and bad in both camps and is as futile an arguement as saying Isle of Wight glass is worse or better than Scottish glass, Wedgwood better than Whitefriars.
The problem only arises when someone deliberately tries to attribute a poorly made piece of glass as being made by what is believed to be a 'reputable' maker, in order to get a higher price for it.
Adam, I would give house room to your ellie any day....he is cute and very nicely made.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand