No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: French? Quatrefoil drip rim turquoise jardiniere/vase pulled rim, 4 applied feet  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Hi
earliest vaguely similar example in Harrach book is dated 1878
M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks :) that would tie in with A Jean's showing at the 1878 Universal Exhibition maybe then?
btw - I've no idea why I typed it has 5 feet because it clearly has 4 - oops.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ivo,Mike I probably should keep my thoughts to myself lol, and this is a sidetrack from my vase a bit, but I found it curious that in neither Le Genie Verrier de L'Europe (Cappa)and in The Art of French Glass ( Bloch Dermant) are there pictures of Auguste Jean vases with animals actually applied to the glass as opposed to forming the feet. 

I'd have thought in at least one of those volumes they would have included a piece with an applied animal on the body of the vase if he did make those (obviously , I know it depends on what material they had access to at the time of writing of course, but still). 

In addition, I have found another vase with an applied lizard that looks to be by the same hand as the two I linked to (not the Collectors Weekly one) and is in a museum collection - but none of the three vases show any signature nor do they mention being signed.

Those vases, the two with the neat detailed and beautifully enamelled lizard and the one with the frog, which are applied to the body of the vase with pads under the feet have irked me.  They are different I think to the one posted on Collectors Weekly as Harrach.  So I've had another very good look around and found a vase in Victor Arwas that has an applied tortoise, very beautifully enamelled and with the round pads under the feet.  It's difficult to tell because the picture shows quite small, but it looks to me very like the same hand - according to Arwas The Art of Glass Art Nouveau to Art Deco, this applied tortoise vase is by Philippe-Joseph Brocade - it has an amethyst drip rim.

So...I'm wondering if perhaps Auguste Jean did not make vases with animals applied to the body of the vase at all?  or is it just that I cannot find a signed reference?  Do you know of any?
Sorry, I know this is slightly off track  ;D
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Google image gives quite an oversight of A.Jean glass and in every case it is glass drips, never applied animalitos - except here
http://www.symbiosis-arts.be/glass/index.php?page=3
and you might argue that IS a drip that looks like a lizzie.
Not sure who else made similar.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
And that is 'attributed to' not signed either.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ok, so the tenuous link to my vase was the four way pulled rim and drips - one I've linked to and one I've found in a museum collection are id'd as Auguste Jean but with no reference or signature apparently, the other looks to be by the same hand but is id'd as Harrach, but again without reference or signature seemingly.  All have applied animals. I wonder if they are not either Auguste Jean or Harrach but might in fact be by Philippe-Joseph Brocard (ref Victor Arwas - I assume the Arwas id is based on a signed piece?).  I can't think my vase is by Brocard though.  So my nearest possibles seem to be Leveille (ref the museum pieces above) or someone else...possibly Harrach, or Clichy (ref the clear plain applied feet and drip rim - see Cappa).
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I own one Jean piece whuch is not signed. But I would not attribute it with any certainty -  there are too many questions surrounding this type of glass.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Aah well - I don't mind.  One day someone will unearth some vital catalogue or brochure and there it will be.  I do absolutely love both my pieces, not least because they are so big and also unusual, but they also look quite  fantastic under lighting with the drips etc.  I would love just one leaning, drippy, enamelled signed Auguste Jean vase though, that would be perfect  ;D
Thank you both for bearing with my mad ramblings and looking things up for me which is much appreciated.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
and thanks to the mod who amended my initial post that said it had 5 feet  :)
m

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
As there are quite literally dozens of variations of this general style in the Harrach Factory Museum alone, I strongly suspect the vast majority of unsigned ones are Harrach.
M

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand