No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: French? Quatrefoil drip rim turquoise jardiniere/vase pulled rim, 4 applied feet  (Read 5001 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I think you could be right - lots of them seem to have  a Harrach type feel to them either in colour, shape or the way the rigaree is applied.  I'm holding judgement on the ones with the pads under the feet though and the pulled rims .  I want to try and see if I can match the enamelling on them to something marked.

Searching in French found me this signed one by Auguste Jean which is the plainest I could find as future reference, no enamel, and does not have an applied animal -
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2007/20th-century-decorative-arts-pf7005/lot.11.lotnum.html

And this one which is the same blue, one colour only, no enamel and very plain. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Jean-Auguste-Jean-Signed-French-Art-Glass-Vase-/190683189308?category=992&nma=true&si=%2Fyr1e06o7xQ%2FrI%2BCMz5%2BRNv1MPU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I don't think AJ is a possible for my vase judging by either of those, but neither have I found a Harrach vase with the quatrefoil bulbous shape and the applied plain clear feet at all.... yet.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
found the picture - it is unsigned and I have always been convinced it was Sèvres/Jean.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've been searching for that one on and off since you last posted it  :)

I have a correction to make to my comments above about neither Le Genie Verrier de L'Europe nor The Art of French Glass showing pieces with applied animals id'd as Auguste Jean - I failed to notice in Cappa page 285 that there is a leaning, completely clear tall vase with spiky and drip rim and rigaree trails as feet and that it also has an applied Lizard on it in clear (with ref the signature it says in the book traces of enamel  on base)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290778032411?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
this one is unmarked.  But it has the pads under the feet of the lizard and is attributed to Baccarat.  Is the shape of the covered vase recognised as a Baccarat piece does any one know please?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Mike, I've found a vase with an applied frog on it in Collectible Bohemian Glass  1880-1940 Truitts - page 64 under Harrach.Tri legged clear bowl with drip rim and gilded enamelled applied lizard, peaking out from the left hand side is an applied frog :)
m

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Well done

Truitt is probably the most reliable of such sources

I wonder if we will ever be able to disentangle all the French looking glass that is in fact Bohemian (and usually by Harrach) -or for that matter all the English looking glass that's bohemian (and usually by Harrach) too.
M

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Well I think it's possible bit by bit.
And actually that is a major part of the interest for me I suppose :)

I've spotted another in the Harrach book page 249 - not had time to double check but suspect it's the same  bowl.  You can just see  a peak of green on the right handside  of the photo and I believe that is a frog.
m

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Question regarding eBay blue vase on AJ since I really have not been able to gather much info on the artist. I've not run across that type of blob with an AJean drip signature done in glass...is this documented as something he used? I ask that because that blue piece seems to be (at least to me) to be rather poor in design & overall quality compared with what normally sees with an AJ signature. Any insight is appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand