No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nemsova trinket set with ‘kneeling ‘angel’ candlesticks  (Read 5933 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Nemsova trinket set with ‘kneeling ‘angel’ candlesticks
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »
A pressed glass trinket set made by the Nemsova factory in Czechoslovakia. Green uranium and light blue examples, both in frosted glass.

The ‘kneeling angels’ candlesticks appear in their pre-1958 catalogue in 2 sizes - pattern no. 5082 (120mm), and 5083 (75mm). Ref.: Marcus Newhall’s Sklo Union CD-ROM.

(Permission for re-use of the images of the blue candlesticks on the GMB granted by tababa, and the green set by arousiac).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
Angel Tinket Set Id... Is it Czech?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:39:34 AM »
Errrm.. Any ideas of the maker/country of origin please... I have the pair of candlesticks, tray and a lidded pot.
Am thinking Czechoslovakia. Have seen the pattern before in blue glass, but??? Please help if you can.
Many Thanks. John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
Re: Angel Tinket Set Id... Is it Czech?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »
Many Thanks to you Lustrousstone... Fantastic help to me.  :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 05:40:30 PM »
Since posting the original message referred to by Christine, above, in the Glass Trinket Sets section of GMB, I have seen quite a few examples of these angel candlholders on American sites (though never as part of a trinket set), always attributed to the the L E Smith Glass Co. in various colours, usually frosted, and with supposed dates of 1960s and 1970s, though none appear to be marked.

In a couple of examples, one in clear 'crystal' and one in frosted colourless glass, they were assigned pattern number 6661 and a production date of 1973-1997.

There is even currently a brown slag version (also attributed to L.E. Smith) from an American seller on the Etsy site at
http://www.etsy.com/listing/112974468/vintage-kneeling-angel-candle-holder

I wonder, perhaps, if L.E. Smith licensed the design from Nemsova post-1958, or even simply imported them for re-sale?

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
As an afterthought, John, would it be possible for you to post some photos of the whole set, or at least the pot and tray, so that I can can confirm that the pieces from the set in my original message were, in fact, a matched set?

If so, I will ask Anne to combine both of these topic threads under a common heading in due course.

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »
Very interesting and thank you... Have provided more pics of my set. I hope that they help. It would be good to know also if any other component items were produced for this pattern? A ring dish perhaps or???  Your original helpful link, suggests that only the kneeling angel candlesticks appear in original factory catalogues... I am wondering if the tray and pot were later additions???  Best wishes to you. John

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »
... having looked at the Etsy slag glass example, it would seem that L E Smith would have used Sklárna Nemšová moulds... being that the original items were catalogued pre-1958 which predates the L E Smith association, one assumes. The slag glass examples are less defined in terms of their crispness, which woud also account for them having been produced from much-used moulds. According to what I have managed to find out here, Nemšová ceased opperating independently circa 1965, before then becoming a part of Sklo (glass) Union. The original factory is now a producer of bottles and jars for the food market... and the largest/most successful of the region. Personally, I would not consider the slag glass examples or yours or mine as having been produced in the same factory and or period... But???? John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
That the sets were made in green uranium glass probably puts them just pre- to just post-war IMHO (maybe when the factory was owned by Karl Schedlbauer), though I suspect the blue candlesticks are Sklo Union from the colour. Many of the Sklo Union designs were carried over from the independent factories.

Sklárna Nemšová was nationalised in 1946 when it became part of Slovenske Sklárny, which was part of the Sklo Union. It was hand pressing at the factory that ceased in 1965. (ref. Newell)

Here is the Americans' theory on the LE Smith candlesticks http://chataboutdg.com/gallery/img2388.htm

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »
Than you, John, for the additional photos of your pink set. The pot and tray certainly match those of my green uranium set, and with a similar set in green uranium shown at
http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/artdeco_glass/czech_glass/czechglass_home.htm
(which still only shows the same number of pieces).

Thank you for the really informative link, Christine. My googling didn't bring it up for some reason.

I have contacted Anne and asked her to consider combining both of these topic threads under a common heading.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand