No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tangerine set with some pieces similar to Century Margaret 484 set  (Read 4014 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A pressed glass trinket set in an unusual tangerine colour. (All pieces are the same colour so are likely to match)

The pin dish and candlesticks appear similar to those in the Century Margaret 484 set
see: http://www.glasstrinketsets.com/cms15/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=232&Itemid=192

The lidded pot seems very similar to the Century Margaret pot except that the lid has no finial.

They tray, however, is quite unlike the Century Margaret tray. It is octagonal, with scooped alternate sides, and the base has a diagonal ribbed strip across the centre flanked by two semi-circular ‘sunray’ or perhaps floral motifs.

ID’s, comments or suggestions, please?

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by lighlybuttered37).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Century Margaret sets – mystery deepens?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:37:17 PM »
Here are some photos of a green glass set that appears to have candlesticks and pin dish as in the Century Margaret 484 set shown on Anne’s GTS site at
http://www.glasstrinketsets.com/cms3/english/century/484-margaret
and in the same green colourway as some of the pieces shown there.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by lincs01).

This set, however, has a completely different tray (decorated with 2 semicircular ‘sunbursts’ and a broad, deeply ridged, diagonal, central band), and the lidded pot has a similar basic shape to that of the Century Margaret set BUT the lid lacks any kind of finial (and appears not just to be a Margaret lid with the finial broken off).

The uniform colour of all the pieces would indicate that the pieces are not simply mismatched.

The Margaret pin dish and Crystalor set 1 pin dishes are similar, see:
http://www.glasstrinketsets.com/cms3/english/crystalor/set-1
 and there is a suggestion of a possible link with the Rosice glassworks.

Does the set shown here compound the mystery, or does it offer some clues to their attribution? 

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Re: Century Margaret sets – mystery deepens?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:42:08 PM »
To throw yet another spanner into the works, here are some photos of a clear glass trinket set with the same pattern tray as the green tray shown in my initial post BUT  completely different lidded pots ( 1 large + a pair of small) and a pair of stoppered perfume flasks.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by treefullofkites123).

The flasks and lidded pots have a cross section that mirrors that of the tray, and are decorated with semi-circular sunburst and ridged band design that also mirrors the decoration on the tray, strongly suggesting that the tray and its attendant pieces were designed as a matching set. (I also have photos of a tray and a similar lidded pot from a completely different source, reinforcing the suggestion that they are indeed 'matched' pieces).

Does anyone recognise these clear lidded pots or perfume flasks as from a particular manufacturer?

Does anyone have photos to show of this distinctive tray to show in other colours (with or without apparently ‘matching’ pieces)?

Fred.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 01:49:45 PM »
My gut feeling is the green set is a marriage - with the tray being the odd part. That said, it is a good match colourwise as far as the pic shows. The tray does look like a proper match to the clear pots in your second image, Fred. 

I'm still in two minds about a possible Rosice connection - I'm tending to think not now, more the connection is in whoever supplied to moulds to both glassworks. Moulds are an area we also need to look at to resolve some of these puzzles.

What I find interesting is that Century and Crystalor both come in just 3 colours - pink (albeit with some variation in depth of colour), green and clear.  We have never seen these pieces in blue or amber nor in uranium green.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 02:22:49 PM »
Thank you, Anne.

I will add the clear set to the GTS site as another 'mystery' in due course, and leave the green set in abeyance for the time being.

Fred.

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
Could the lack of colours suggest they were  made just at the end of the war when there was still Control of Manufacture and Supply Orders  in place, according to Davidson's website they had restricted colours, and the order wasn't fully revoked until 1953 ? The clear set reminds me of the Ernst Buder sets.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 02:37:29 AM »
Wading through my backlog of reference stuff I found an advert for Century Glass Works (not showing trinket sets but vases and bowls mainly) but at the top it clearly states that Century makes glass in flint, pink, blue and green. 

So that explains why the trinket sets are seen in pink, green and clear, but were any made in blue, and if not, why not? 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »
I have also seen the green marriage a couple of times in pink/peach which seems odd.
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand