No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Vasart or Strathearn ? 13 spoke, dark blue dome ,ground base  (Read 5157 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Is this Vasart or Strathearn ? 13 spoke, dark blue dome ,ground base
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 06:45:11 AM »

I doubt very much it would be hollow: that would mean it would be filled with air at pickup, and you would get large bubbles over the cane on encasement. And it would look silvery now if full of air.  Even the tiny air channels that are sometimes left between canes cause bubbles - hence the seemingly regular array of tiny bubbles on the cushion of some weights.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
Hi M

Yes it sounds amazing, a weight every 5 minutes, but its true. Dave Moir told me and he was at Ysart Brothers then Vasart and
finally Strathearn from the day it opened until the day they stopped making the Strathearn brand there in 1980. 

Dave has also confirmed that they definitely did NOT use hollow canes !

Factory production of paperweights produces some amazing figures - at its peak in the mid 1990's Caithness was producing
150,000 paperweights a year from 18 chairs! Even the much smaller operation at Selkirk Glass was making 25,000 a year at its peak.

Best regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »
Thanks :) I love all this detail and information and am grateful you take the time to impart it, it adds another dimension of interest for me.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand