No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Waterford Crystal decanter - unknown pattern  (Read 4710 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Waterford Crystal decanter - unknown pattern
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
I've been trying to put a name to this Waterford Crystal wine(?) decanter pattern but without success.  It has a vertical flute and hexagonal shape pattern which hopefully can be seen on the pic.  I've spent quite some time looking through the Waterford Crystal retail and replacement websites with no luck so far.
It looks kind of contemporary but I could be wrong.
Many thanks for any help.
Anne E.B

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Waterford Crystal decanter - unknown pattern
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »
What mark does it have?  Is it a Seahorse, or an Old English lettering?  Perhaps a photo would help date the decanter.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »
Just Waterford in old English lettering.  A bit difficult to spot on the base, but will try to do a pic.  Its one of a pair.
Anne E.B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
It doesn't look like any of the contemporary cuts I've seen for Waterford Anne - I have managed to keep a bit of an eye out for them because Frank Roche's shop (which stocks Waterford) in Michael's home town is the only place there I can see any glass when we visit, and going in for a nosey passes the time.
Much of the seriously antique stuff is rather "death by a 1000 cuts", as far as I could make out from my visit to the Ulster Museum in Belfast. Sorry not to be of more help!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
Thanks Sue ;)  The pattern is quite minimalist compared to most I've seen and that's why I thought it just might be contemporary.  The stopper seems to be quite common and I've seen it on different decanters.  I'll keep delving and will get back if I have any success :)
Anne E.B

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:57 PM »
Well it is at least REAL Waterford.  I believe that they deliberately made the touch marks very light so they did not intrude.  I remember a ship's decanter I had that I was so certain was Waterford but could not find the mark - then one day I happened to hold it up to the light and BINGO there was the mark.

I really like decanter's and that one is so elegant in its simplicity.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »
And even more elegant as the pair!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »
hello Anne  -  is your mark the same as on my vase in this link.......     
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,43603.msg243391.html#msg243391   ...... sort of old English script with the word a little curved.
As you will see on page two, Frank was able to assist with a positive attribution from a complete 1970's Waterford catalogue, which would assume he still has.
Understand from Nigel's joint publication with Jeanette Hayhurst  -  'Art Deco To Post Modernism - A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass', that in the late 1990's Waterford introduced a modernist range of styles designed by John Rocha - obviously unlike traditional Waterford patterns that most people know.          In the event, my vase is shown in this publication, although at the time I didn't have a copy.
Your decanter might be from the 60's - 70's period like mine, or perhaps later - it certainly looks a more contemporary and restrained non-traditional design.          Certainly post 1960, and perhaps a lot more recent.
Perhaps we might persuade Frank or Nigel to comment. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »
The Rocha stuff is mostly deep cut wavy lines - fairly minimalist, decidedly modern.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »
thanks Sue - I know very little about Rocha material (some I believe is heavily cased in .....is it deep red, or black - most odd looking).        I'm not seeing the body too clearly in this pic due to the white of the table, but see enough to realize this isn't what we might call traditional Waterford cutting :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand