No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about my decanter please?  (Read 2401 times)

Offline chriss

• Members
Does anyone know anything about my decanter please?
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »
Hi
I have a decanter with the same image or scene on the front and back. I don't know if the image has been etched or enameled or painted or something else? The surface of the pictures is textured. I don't know anything about this vase as i bought it from an antique dealer who had no idea about it either. I was hoping someone could help me with any info or id please?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Does anyone know anything about my decanter please?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:51:29 PM »
My feeling is that the decanter itself is quite modern - the rounded edge to the base, the relatively small number of star points, and the very simply stopper are pushing me that way.  However someone has been engraving a very nice scene on it.  The level of detail makes me suspect it has not been by sandblasting but rather it has been nicely wheel engraved - although I am not expert enough to be certain about the latter.

Whatever it looks a very nice item and if I had found it it would be staying at my place.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:34:13 AM »
My guess would be Bohemian/Czech but no idea on date

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:07:56 AM »
Are your photos showing the picture each side?  If they are the same is it possible to get a clear close up of each side please?
Thanks
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:40:36 AM »
So what IS the technique? Etched or sanded would be eating into the glass; enameling would be adding to the surface.

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:11:55 AM »
Hi
Thanks for all your replies  ;D
I've sacrificed a bottle of Merlot as it highlights the image more clearly. I don't know what the image is made of but the thicker white lines are more raised and the opaque like background resembles thin melted glass or thin puckered opaque dried glue when examined with a strong magnifying glass if that helps? Sorry pretty naff at explaining things and that's the best i can come up with :/
I've uploaded photos of both images and a close up of the 1st image, but my camera keeps blurring if I try to take any closer than that.
Thanks for your help everyone :) 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 07:16:52 PM »
the image looks perhaps too 'white' for standard wheel engraving.         I've noticed recently a lot of drinking glasses, and some modern decanters with what appears to be machine enameling - or perhaps transfer enameling, not sure which as I haven't bought any.
does the image appear proud of the surface, or a little recessed?      Could well be wrong of course, but that whiteness looks slightly unusual. :)

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »
Hi Paul :)
yes the white looks a bit day glow with the wine background but it was the only way to take very clear shots as it kept picking up the reverse image which was confusing issues. It's exagerated the white as, in fairness it's not as white as it looks in the 2nd lot of photos :/ Yes the central, thicker white lines stand proud within the image but I'm not sure it all stands proud, the backing looks almost part of the glass, though I'm not sure, hope this helps :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:15:36 PM »
guess this decoration has to be machine or stencil applied - maybe it's trying to achieve a C20 type of 'Mary Gregory' look - a sort of equivalent of the Victorian machine acid etched effect - attractive decoration without the haute couture expense.     It may also be trying to imitate wheel engraving - a common C19 type of shallow cutting which gave a graded, almost tonal effect to the image.           Don't get me wrong - if you like it then that's all that matters, and I hope the wine tastes good :)
Don't know where you are - and this may influence the possibly source - although regret I'm clueless as to where these things are made - Lustrousstone may well be correct with eastern Europe - and I'd agree with Ross and say made within the last ten years.
I don't recall anyone posting recently glass with this type of decoration.       Sorry to be of little help. :)

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 09:24:24 PM »
No problem, thanks for your help and advice. I bought it in Bridgnorth, Shropshire at an antique and collectors stall, the lady had no idea about it, I bought it because I was curious about it :)) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand