No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart sulphide  (Read 1823 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Ysart sulphide
« on: October 11, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
Hi there,

I have seen a similar Robbie Burns sulphide before but it was attributed to Salvador Ysart rather than Paul. As both made sulphides, it is tricky. In this case, the canes do not look Paul Ysart to me (although the picture is a little hazy).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1930s-Paul-Ysart-Robbie-Burns-Sulphide-Glass-paperweight-/221138027641?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item337cda8479

I would love to know what other people think (I am not planning to buy, just puzzled)

Many thanks.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Ysart sulphide
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
I think I'd want much better photos before I spent that kind of money!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:01:40 AM »
I have written to the seller advising that my view is that this is a Salvador Ysart weight. Having received extra images, I can confirm that one of the two millefiori canes definitely appears in several items attributed to Salvador Ysart, including at least two weights and an inkwell in my own collection.

There are also other reasons why I feel this is not a Paul Ysart weight.

However, at least one other Burns Sulphide (identical mould) weight, which has a garland of mixed canes, has in the past been attributed to Paul Ysart rather than Salvador.

One point that I made to the seller was that I was not aware of Paul Ysart using the same sulphide image in several weights (*) and yet I know of several other Robert Burns sulphide weights that use the same image mould.

(*) I should add here that Paul Ysart did use the same mould of a Basket of Flowers in a few weights but in those instances the sulphide was painted and it might be the case that there was a variation of colour for each example.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for this. It is always nice to learn from an expert.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand