No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano rope twist Looking Glass attributed to Carlo Scarpa  (Read 1125 times)

Offline tony5card

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • london
Murano rope twist Looking Glass attributed to Carlo Scarpa
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Hi again everyone.

I have a Hand Mirror by Murano, floating glass, rope twist, gold thread etc... that I have attributed to Carlo Scarpa - if you guys agree great - if you don't can you kindly advise. What I am really after is a good resource site where I can get some more info on it

Thank you all again

Best

Maryam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Murano rope twist Looking Glass attributed to Carlo Scarpa
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 03:52:41 AM »
Is there reason why you think Scarpa might have designed this?  I saw the latest Scarpa exhibition recently and there was nothing like this in it , and neither is there anything like it in the wonderful new book on Scarpa by Marino Barovier. 

It looks like a quality piece, just not Scarpa.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline busterj

• Members
    • Canada
    • My glass on Picasa
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »
Design and Arts has a similar one up for auction on e-bay. The hard ware is slightly different.

It's listed as Barovier & Toso.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tischspiegel-Murano-Glas-von-Barovier-Toso-um-1950-Goldstaub-/350620102331?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item51a2962ebb

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tony5card

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • london
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »
Thank you for your assistance.

Yes the reason I attributed it to Scarpa was because I found one being sold as that before (only on Ebay so obviously the expert level of the description is unclear).

Having the thought that I have had I have searched and searched through all information on Scarpa that I either have in my library and also internet etc... and you are right I cannot find anything similar; of course he did do other hand mirrors which all the leading sale rooms attribute to him also.

Which was why I originally asked for assistance to resources as well.

I also received a message by another member directing me to a similar table mirror (again being sold on Ebay) and attributed to Barovier (which of course Scarpa was also connected).

Thank you again for all your help and I will update everyone if I can find anything else out

Very best
Maryam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand