No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harrach? - Overshot and ruby basket,ribbed,applied uranium glass leaves,flowers  (Read 1506 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I had thought this was probably Kralik, but judging by the photograph on the far right of this link to a set of photos and looking at the part picture of the bowl/vase on the left of that display cabinet, I'm wondering if my basket might be Harrach?
The trailing leaves are uranium glass.  The base is slightly donut indented and the pontil mark in the middle of the indent is neatly snapped off.
Can anyone confirm please?
Many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Interesting,not seen an overshot basket before,couldn't say if it was Harrach but most probably Bohemian, ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Looks very similar,love those jugs,got a couple of baskets with similar flower decor' but don't think they have the quality to be Harrach,you must have some great shops near you,it's useless here ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 No not really Keith to be honest - and it's damaged.  I've been collecting for years but never looked for the items I really love now - the 20s/30s French pieces mainly and some Bohemian ones and my Studio collection - and I wonder how many passed me by in that time when I wasn't looking carefully enough.  I find less and less glass now and certainly fewer of the unusual pieces - or the internally decorated pieces that are my favourites.
My collection is changing (we are going to downsize in the short/medium future and I will not have room to display my glass when that happens) and I'm trying to end up with just a few pieces (maybe 50 lol) and just have those key items.  But I find it hard to sell the others when I can see that there is just much less around.
And contemporary glass is  way out of my price range for the most part now, although I would love to add a couple more new pieces as well of course :)
btw I saw a bell today in an antiques shop - nowhere near as beautiful as yours, clanger had been pasted back in etc, and they were asking £38.00 for it.
Perhaps my overshot basket is Kralik?  I need to have another good look at the books I think.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I think Harrach is more likely. The pinky white flowers are pretty common but the overshot isn't, neither is the spikey handle, which tend to be on the more unusual baskets
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=932
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=220

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Christine - interesting regarding the spiky handles, I shall have a good trawl round looking for those now, another feature to use the magnifying glass for when looking at the book pictures  ::).  I think it is very close to that Harrach basket and I agree I think it probaby is Harrach rather than Kralik. btw I love your id of 'Weird or what?'  ;D
I find baskets a bit of a strange item per se
m

Offline sawi

• Members
    • Austria
@keith: i've seen in the "passauer glasmuseum" a very similar basket attributed to harrach:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand