No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clichy nosegay miniature paperweight? or not?red,turquoise,amethyst flowers  (Read 4272 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
At the risk of embarrassing myself again with thinking it's something it's not, I can't find an exact match for this but it seems like a Clichy miniature nosegay.
My photos aren't great but the best I can do.
It is a miniature and the flowers are unbelievably tiny to photograph. The colours are intense.
The blue is the deep turquoise I think sometimes found on Clichy grounds, and amazingly right in the middle of it is definitely a flower shaped cane although it looks like a tube (this is not my imagination  ;D )
The amethyst seems to have a pale yellow middle made up of lots of stalks of cane.
The red is a true red not pink and has a tightly gathered white middle made up of a cluster of canes of white stalks. It measures 1 3/4" wide by 3/4" high and the base is slightly concave with an outer thin ground ring that the weight rests on.
any thoughts much appreciated and many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
Clichy indeed!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you!!!
I've just been trying to photograph the canes more closely and the middle of the amethyst one right in the middle, is a pale yellow absolutely minute whorl cane...definitely  ;D
Amazingly intricate.
Thanks so much again  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
attempting new thing on paintshop
Cropped canes to show centres - I hope this works
close up of turquoise and amethyst centres (unfortunately the red one is blurred)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Canes get tiny when stretched more during their making, they look very impressive, being so tiny and having so much "detail"... until you're aware of how simply it's achieved - just a bit more pull.
(It's very disillusioning, I find. One of those times when knowing the technique spoils the "wonder".)
I'm not saying pulling canes of any sort is easy, far from it, but it's not much harder to make this sort than any other.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Nick77

• Members
Very nice Clichy weight there, lets see if my luck from this morning holds, I'll give you a fiver for it ;)

The amethyst cane looks to be the same as in this one of mine, at the 10 O'clock position.
Nick

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sue I see what you mean, but I have to admit I watched a video on someone making a cane and was amazed having not seen it before  :)  They're probably not that small I suppose but to me, trying to photograph them and focus the camera on them individually was impossible.  Still, at least I have now found out how to use another feature on paint shop (I was curious as to how Kev managed to sort out the photo I sent him of my other weight) - hurrah!

Nick thank you for that.  I have found it quite difficult to try and work out what this was, especially since eventually when I finally stumbled upon it, I could only find 10 or so nosegays to look at in total despite all my searching - and only 5 of those were miniatures and all seem to be different.
I was trying to work it out to sell, but I think I'll pass on your offer   ;)   
Thanks again
m

Offline Nexxo

• Members
Hi

yes Clichy as once "moules à gateaux" are on table  no doubt at all

gianluigi

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Gianluigi  :)
does that mean 'pastry canes' ?
I need to look up some paperweight terminology :)
I think I managed a good picture of the whorl cane despite it being so tiny! the yellow 'tubes' surrounding it are filled with white
m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
The term in English is "Pastry mould" (and mold, of course, for American English).

A point about Clichy canes is that many are very distinctive "pastry mould" forms. But similar canes have occasionally been used by other makers. And sometimes, at first sight, it may not be easy to distinguish between a "Ruffle" (or "Ruffled") cane and a "Pastry mould".

For paperweight terminology, a copy of Paul H. Dunlop's, The Dictionary of Glass Paperweights - an illustrated primer would be a good investment [but with due allowance for a typo or two, such as the suggestion that Venice is in France!].

KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand