No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Percival Vickers Marmalade Rd. 189344  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Percival Vickers Marmalade Rd. 189344
« on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »
This, presumably, is only part and I guess the remainder may have been an EPNS stand or support of some sort, since the curve on this little trough means it won't stand unaided.           The glass body is c. 5.5" long, and the Rd. No. was first registered on 16th March 1892 - and oddly on the previous day another 'Marmalade' was registered under No. 189247  -  maybe a sudden peak in a fashion for toast and marmalade ;)      Would be interested to know what the other half looked like, so if anyone can point me at a pic or post one, I'd be grateful, and thanks for looking. :)

Ref. 'The Identification of English Pressed Glass'  -  Jenny Thompson.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Percival Vickers Marmalade Rd. 189344
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:18:54 AM »
Hi Paul

Sorry cannot help with yours, but maybe yours was a single as I have the other one 189247 which is a double marmalade as shown in first 2 pictures and very similar in shape as yours with a curved base.

I have another older Percival Vickers marmalde reg. 17th April 1883 also a double marmalade with an etched EPNS frame.

Roy

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 07:26:51 AM »
The design registrations only show what you have there - no picture of a top half.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »
Roy - many thanks - don't know for the time being then whether mine was intended as a single or was one of a pair of dishes designed to sit in a metal frame - but obviously a frame of some sort there was.       Since yours are both 'pairs' then maybe that's how they all came.      Must admit they do look good, and useful, when complete - very classy bit of table ware.    I remember my mother always put out the jam, marmalade, sugar, milk and butter in purpose made containers............where have all those refined table manners gone :'(

Neil - apologies - my comments were perhaps less than clear.        I wasn't suggesting mine had a 'top' part  -   the other half I was referring to was the metal stand as shown in Roy's pix.       Presume you have a copy of the pic as shown in the Representations records at Kew.

Offline floatyrboat

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • grimwade crystal
    • australia
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »
Hi Paul, this is my first post on GMB  :)
I came across your query when researching my recent acquisition and thought I'd post a pic of what the stand looks like.
The EPNS stand is a little pitted at edges where the glass sits, but otherwise is in good nick for an oldie.
Hope it settles your quest for more info about yours.
regards
Cheryl

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
Welcome to the GMB, Cheryl.

Thank you for posting your photos (many new members seem to have problems). It is really nice to see the glassware with its associated metalware, especially when the metal mount is so clearly marked.

Paul and Cheryl, I see that Neil doesn't have a photo of RD 189344 on his Manchester glass site at
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/percival-vickers-designs-by-date/percival-vickers-1892
so perhaps it might be nice to offer him your permission(?s) to re-use some of your images to illustrate the marmalade dish and mount on the site.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 06:20:51 PM »
Hello Cheryl - and a warm welcome from me too. :)      Hope we hear more from you, and look forward to seeing some of your glass.
Thanks for adding your information regarding this particular Rd. No., it adds to the information and helps us to understand the overall picture.

Neil is more than welcome to use any pix that I've posted for this piece.                 I notice that Neil has commented......."The design registrations only show what you have there - no picture of a top half."........        from which I would understand that he has seen the details at Kew, and the records include information about the glass part only, and not the EPNS stand  -  thus making Cheryls contribution all the more important.
I've been to TNA a number of times since posting this item, although obviously I had forgotten this piece, otherwise I would have checked the records myself, out of interest.
If people think it would be useful to have some pix from the Representations Book, I can arrange to do this on my next visit. :)

Offline floatyrboat

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • grimwade crystal
    • australia
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome Paul and Fred  :D.
This is a great forum, I've read posts in the past but never activated myself as a user.  My main "obsession" is in collecting Grimwade crystal and I come across interesting bits'n'pieces while fossicking for it, which is how I came across the pretty marmalade.
Like Paul, I would be happy for Neil to use the photos I've posted.
All the best
Cheryl

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 05:49:31 AM »
Thanks guys, about 50% of the Percival Vickers registrations on my website now have a photo thanks to your efforts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand