No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opaque Blue and White Striped Pattern Vase ID = Island Studio Glass, Guernsey  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Hi, Can anyone identify this beautiful quality made vase .  The vase has an unusual pontil .  During my research I have not found one with this type of pontil.  The vase appears to be blown glass.  The pressed pontil? protrudes from the central concave area of the base  (thickness 0.2cm) with markings to the actual pontil.  Only the curved area of the base meets a flat surface.    I am unable to clearly identify this marking.  I can just about make out what appears to be three lions, but not too sure.  Further more, I am unable to identify the other markings shown.  The height of the Vase is 15.4cm, pontil 2cm dia. and the widest point of the vase approx 8.7cm. I hope the pictures taken are of reasonable quality in helping you with your investigations. It would be of interest to know the originator and period.    Any help appreciated

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Opaque Blue and White Striped Pattern Vase - I.D Request
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
Guernsey Glass. The mark is the three lions of Guernsey and is pressed into the glass while it's hot.

(A search on here for three lions would have revealed all)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »
What! no frilly rim :o I thought they all had frilly rims?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
No they don't (do an ebay search   :P )

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »
 ::) ;D ;D

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:25:03 PM »
Thanks Christine!   Never of thought it would Guernsey Glass.  Since then I have managed to find a thread discussed in 2010.   Not an expensive vase though but of excellent quality compared to some I own.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=35594.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand