No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tudor copy or Walsh? - ID = Webb Corbett  (Read 2531 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Tudor copy or Walsh? - ID = Webb Corbett
« on: October 17, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
6 inches high,some wear,the pattern looks a little different to that in the book,the only mark,what there is,is also different,would be nice if it is a Farquharson original,I live in hope,help please ::) ;D ;D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Tudor copy or Walsh?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:18:38 AM »
Keith — Your question is unanswerable.   When Walsh formally closed on October 1, 1951, a substantial number of Walsh employees, including a large section of their cutting team, was already working at Tudor Crystal (The Stourbridge Glass Company Ltd.).   Here they continued making popular Walsh designs as demand required, with the full knowledge and approval of Walsh directors and management.   So, an example of Clyne Farquharson's Leaf pattern with a Tudor mark is not a copy but a perfectly genuine original, made by the same craftsmen but in a different location.   Unmarked examples can be difficult to assign to one of the two manufacturing locations, but again are not copies or fakes.

Your piece is not, in my opinion, either Walsh or Tudor.   The short stem and the base star are not typical of these two.   If you browse through Benson & Hayhurst, you will see that stem only on examples of Webb and Richardson (eventually taken over by Webb).

I've not knowingly seen that mark before.   It seems to be an anonymous mark, just stating MADE IN ENGLAND, so may have been a special for one of the big trade buyers who didn't want the manufacturing glassworks identified.   Indeed the cut pattern design may not have been the property of a glassworks but of a factor, wholesaler, or a retailer.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
Your piece is not, in my opinion, either Walsh or Tudor.

....and Bernard is quite right. However, it is attributable IMHO. I would suggest post war Webb Corbett, designed by Len Green.

Nigel

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »
Many thanks,Bernard,Nigel,still a good piece that will go well in the 'British' collection ;D ;D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
Thanks, Nigel.   I should have listened to my OH, who, last night, said that it's Webb Corbett.   ;D

Keith — On my trawl through Benson & Hayhurst I had missed #133, another Len Green Leaf design on an identical blank with the same base star, and #166–7, two more Len Green Leaf designs.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »
Just looked up Len Green in 20th Century British Glass and there on page 282 is a tumbler with the exact same design,again thanks to both ;D ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
Just picked up my copy of 'Art Deco to Post Modernism' via my brother,came with a very polite thank you note from you know who ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand