No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling Lambton Ceiling Light  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Jobling Lambton Ceiling Light
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
Just got this Jobling 'Lambton' ceiling light with all its original fittings  it has the reg no. 787872 (It's my Christmas gift but I was allowed to take a pic) it is gorgeous.  ;D   Were many made as I have not see one before and can't find any info on them online ?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Jobling Lambton Ceiling Light
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
I have a pink one.  :)
Your fittings are prettier then mine, although mine are very definitely old. They required several soakings in minced raw onion to derust them and get them operating again.
There were not very many of these lampshades made no, they were horrendously expensive to buy new at the time.
I don't have the reference to hand, and can't remember where I found it either, but I'm sure they were either 29 or 36 shillings and something - whatever - it was about a whole month's wages.
I just remembered the info!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »
Wow thanks for that info Sue, my husband is now smiling much more than when we left the Antique Warehouse. ;)... Also the raw onions I have never heard that before, I also have is the original ceiling rose with hooks, the fitting on the bowl look French, very much like the French picture hook covers you can get.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
They're fabulous beasts - they look so good lit and give you a lovely, soft, diffuse light.
Very high-end of the market when new;
Very desirable and practical things to use now.
And the minced raw onion is a brilliant tip for cleaning rusted threads and screws. It dissolves the rust (albeit slowly) but it does mean if you get a shade with original-but-rusted fittings they can be sorted and used.

I reckon you still get another wee pressie in December - this one was for the house, not just for you, and it's sounding as if it might have been a very good buy...  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »
It's a lovely find. The catalogues only show this pattern as a 'Table Bowl', i.e. without fittings. The trade price for the bowl alone was 30 Shillings, so add a retailer's mark up and the cost of the fittings and you can see that, as Sue said, these were very pricey items when new.

They are quite scarce, but I've seen a few over the years. Opalique examples are very hard to find.

There are at least three other lighting bowl designs from Jobling you can look out for. The Bird Pattern Lambton Bowl which was registered at the same time as the roses bowl (Nov. 1933) as well as the Iris pattern and Mermaid patterns introduced in the 1940s.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 05:28:55 AM »
I have one of the bowls on an auction site near you at the moment. Although not as large as the lightshade of course.

My Mum has the lightshade in Pink. Will have to look at her fittings but I think they are pretty basic.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »
Steven, thanks very much for that information, I have seen online a Fir cone bowl attached to a large frosted disc but it looks like an ordinary sized bowl (Looks a bit odd) whereas the one I have is a much larger bowl (13.5'' x 4.5'')...I will keep a look out for the others now.
Nemmie..I have been watching your bowl for days....if I manage to sell my ebay stuff this week I might have a bid!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:09:47 AM »
I'm pretty sure my info. came from seeing a copy of the original catalogue. My brother (I moan about this all the time) has the Jobling hummingbird shade in opalescent glass and he won't give it to me. It's a bit smaller than my Rose one.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
Forgive me for showing off, but I just wanted to share these. These have pride of place in my my display cabinet in Shanghai.

Both are undrilled and are early examples with 'Regn. Appld. For' marks. The 13" bird bowl was bought at auction in the US, while I found the rose bowl on ebay last year.

Strangely these 13" bowls are I think the only item for which there wasn't a premium charged for opalique. All colours are listed at 30/- each in the 1934 trade catalogue (reproduced in Baker & Crowe).

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
I'd be very tempted to have holes drilled to make them into shades if they were mine...
I don't need or want bowls, I lust after shades.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand