No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: burst air bubble in old glass pot  (Read 783 times)

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
burst air bubble in old glass pot
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
I'm intrigued by this burst air bubble in this cranberry glass pot - because it's green. Is cranberry glass just cranberry on the outside? I've never seen anything like this.  Anyone else? thanks
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: burst air bubble in old glass pot
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »
Yes I have & now I am kicking myself for not taking a picture. Two years ago I picked up an 8" diameter bowl, 3" height & while the bowl was cranberry, the cranberry was a casing over light green & the green reacted with a blacklight. In mine the thin casing & it was a casing not any type of flashing or stain had flaked away in an area about 1" X 1" round diameter exposing the green & you could feel the casing layer without problem with a fingernail. I picked it up dirt cheap, put it the mall to make a quick $20 & it sold immediately.  One of the strangest things I'd ever run across & I showed it to a couple of other knowledgable glass dealers & they agreed it was a paper thin casing & was unexplainable.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »
Old and new coloured blown glass is often just a thin layer of colour over the outside or sometimes the inside, especially the lighter shades. I believe it is called flashed. The colour is the expensive bit... When it's on the outside it's very hard to detect.

These have an semi-opaque red layer. When you hold them up to the light you can see pinpricks of light. It is not a "painted" layer
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1473

I know this only has a thin blue outer layer because I saw one being made
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=899

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »
thank you both for the info, interesting
Julie